Buying Guns In California

PhotonGuy

Exactly what procedures do you have to go through to buy guns in California? Also, can you buy guns out of state and then have them transferred to you by a CA gun dealer? Just about every state I can think of allows you to buy guns out of state, you just can't have them sent to your house you have to have them sent to an FFL dealer in your home state where you go to pick them up and in the process you have to go through the same procedures as if you're actually buying a gun in your state. The FFL dealer will also charge you a transfer fee or course. Im wondering if you can do that in CA being as strict with guns as they are.

Don’t quote me but I believe you can buy out of state and have shipped to a CA FFL but the gun in question needs to be on the approved roster and must have less then or equal to 10 round magazines or no magazines.

I am not a CA resident and only saying what I THINK is the basic gist of the rules.

Don’t quote me but I believe you can buy out of state and have shipped to a CA FFL but the gun in question needs to be on the approved roster and must have less then or equal to 10 round magazines or no magazines.

I am not a CA resident and only saying what I THINK is the basic gist of the rules.
Yes it would obviously have to be CA legal just like any gun you have transferred to you in any state would have to be legal in that state. And about a week ago you could get a gun with a larger than 10 round magazine but that has been struck down in court after apparently the magazine ban was lifted.

1) The gun has to be CA legal. No "assault weapons" or greater than 10 round magazines.

2) Handguns must be on the CA approved roster. https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certguns

3) All interstate transfers must go through a CA FFL. If the seller is an FFL, they must be registered with the California Firearms Licensee Check (CFLC) system and get an approval letter from it for this transaction.

It's a stupid system, but the bright side is that registering is about as hard as registering for a new forum and getting the transaction letter is about as hard as posting to one.

If the seller is not an FFL, the CFLC is not needed, the shipper may ship directly to the CA FFL. Check that the CA FFL will accept a shipment from a mere mortal.

For more detail: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms

The simple answer is they cannot, if off roster weapons are involved, with some exceptions. These sort of questions regularly are asked, time again and again, on CalGuns. The search function is your friend.

I lived in cali till around 2006. Up until that time, I was able to buy guns from out of state that were not on the approved roster. After the draconian gun laws were passed, and until the time I moved, cali law said that if a gun was a "curio and relic", it was exempt from the roster rule.

I got a copy of the ATF's Curio and Relic list, verified the manufacturing date, etc, and took advantage of that exception.

There are plenty of fine firearms available via the C&R route. It still had to go to a FFL, I still had to pay a DROS fee, etc. But I have a penchant for pinned and recessed Smiths, for example.

Dunno if it's still allowed.

The 10 round mag limit still applied though. As did the full auto prohibition, etc.

I recently sent my son, in SAC, one of my Hi-Powers. The FFL gave me all the details, including the wording for a letter from me that it was a familial gift, and all they charged him was a transfer fee and tax on that...not the pistol. Pretty easy process.

Alright, well Im not from CA and I don't plan on ever living in CA, the reason I asked this is because I heard about a proposed tax on gun purchases that they want to pass in CA. Once this is passed, if it is passed, whenever you buy a gun in CA you have to pay an extra tax and the extra tax you pay goes towards "gun safety" AKA gun control or anti second amendment programs.

I was wondering if you could avoid the tax by buying a gun out of state and having it transferred to you. If you have to pay the tax in the process of having the gun transferred than it would not work but if you don't than this would be a loophole that I would recommend anybody living in CA who wants to buy guns to exploit.

Alright, well Im not from CA and I don't plan on ever living in CA, the reason I asked this is because I heard about a proposed tax on gun purchases that they want to pass in CA. Once this is passed, if it is passed, whenever you buy a gun in CA you have to pay an extra tax and the extra tax you pay goes towards "gun safety" AKA gun control or anti second amendment programs.

I was wondering if you could avoid the tax by buying a gun out of state and having it transferred to you. If you have to pay the tax in the process of having the gun transferred than it would not work but if you don't than this would be a loophole that I would recommend anybody living in CA who wants to buy guns to exploit.

If you are a California resident, ALL firearm purchases must be handled by a California FFL, who will be required to collect all existing taxes.

The proposed tax is every bit as unconstitutional as a poll tax, IMO.

Back