Buying first shotgun

bandaidman

My wife (who previouly had not wanted any guns around the house) has endorsed the idea of me getting a shotgun. My main interest would be shooting skeet and a few birds and she shocked me on the way home from lunch today saying she would be interested in shooting skeet as well!!! My wife is fairly athletic but would a 12ga o/u be too much for her to handle or should I get a 20ga. Your input is requested.

The basic problem is that what fits her may not fit you. What recoil you can tolerate, she may not - or visa versa.

The answer is to go to your skeet club and check on rental guns. Another idea is to try and find someone that will let you shoot their gun.

A very reasonable compromise is to get a good 20. I have 12s and shoot them, but a 20 is a lot of fun.

You can always use the lack of a 12 as an excuse for another SG!

Giz

Good answer, Gismo! :D

Do the rental thing, but lean towards the 20. If she gets hurt or scared by the 12 you may never get another chance to get her hooked.

It's a good rule to start beginners small.

Before getting into the question of a 12 or 20 or the type of gun, what sort of firearms experience do you have already? If you or she don't have much some proper instruction on gun safety and proper handling is the best way to start.

If you are comfortable with firearms, a 12 can be loaded as light as a 20. Some 20 gauge guns are very light weight and can kick harder than a 12. Female shooters that I know had more trouble with gun weight and noise than recoil when they first started. Always wear a good set of ear protectors.

All of that aside, if you or she haven't shot much or at all get some proper instruction and then start asking the equipment questions.

Go carefully here. A small misfit to you may be a paininducing gross stock misfit on her.

I suggest renting/borrowing a variety of shotguns and letting her pick one.A lesson or 6 and a stock fitting by a pro would make a nice anniversary or birthday present along with the usual roses and dinner.

Like someone already said, some light 20s are vicious kickers, depending on fit, form and load.

A gas operated auto like the Remington 1100 or the 300 series Berettas might be the ticket.

I am new to skeet and my wife is expressing an interest in trying it also. Check with the local range to see if any other women shoot. If so, I'd bet that they would help her out and bring a "loaner" (assuming safety and handling issues are well established).

Back