Buying Black powder revolver

I am looking for a Fairly cheap pricer cap and ball revovler. Prefer the strap above cylinder thinking 250 MAXIMIUM price. Any suggestions.

DEFINITELY get a steel-framed gun. Avoid brass-framed guns.
Usually, steel-framed guns are better made, to include fitting and polish. Yes, there are clunker steel-framed guns out there but I've seen far more brass-framed clunkers than I've seen steel-framed guns.
If you prefer the type with the strap over the cylinder, then you pretty much have the choice of the Remington or the Rogers & Spencer designs. The Starr also has a topstrap but I find it rather cumbersome in the hand.
The Rogers & Spencer is well liked by those who have them. The Remington is good too. Basically, if it feels good in your hand when you pick it up, you'll probably do well with it. :D
Remington designs can be found for $250 or less. Rogers & Spencer and Starr designs are pricier. I'd suggest, for a beginner, the Remington in .44 caliber and made of stainless steel.
No need for adjustable sights. It's purely a plinking pistol. With fixed sights, you'll likely find that your Remington shoots low at 25 yards. Removing a bit of metal from the front sight will bring the groups up.
However, do this very sparingly. A lick at a time. And don't do it until you have found an accurate load for your revolver.
For target work, I like 22 grains of Goex FFFG black powder in my Uberti-made Remington .44. Over the powder goes a greased, felt wad. I seat the wad firmly on the powder as a separate operation.
Then, seat a .454 or .457 inch ball. Forget the .451 inch ball the manuals suggest. The larger ball is better. It seals better and, because it results in a wider bearing band on the ball, is more accurate.
Balls of .454 or .457 inch are made by Speer and Hornady. I prefer Speer; always seem to find a few culls in each box of Hornady I try. :(
Seat the ball firmly on the seated wad. If you use a well-lubricated wad (see my other post, "Need felt for wads? Check this out!" for the lubricant recipe and particulars) there is no need to put lubricant over the ball.
I have both Colt and Remington designs and like them both. The Colt is better-balanced; the Remington has better sights.
For the beginner, I'd suggest the Remington design.
Have fun, and welcome to the club!

Back