Buying ammo online in MA

Miles2014

I usually buy my ammo from my LGS. I live in MA, so we have to navigate all kinds of laws and regulations. Are there much better ammo deals online that'll ship to MA?

Thanks!

Many dealers will not ship to CA. MA. NY. check their web sites and see where they will or will not ship to.

Unless prohibited by MA state law, your best bet is probably to drive north into VT or NH and buy there. Most on-line vendors won't ship ammunition to MA.

Buy it online, have it shipped to a friend or family member in another state. Pick it up at the family Xmas get together etc.

Natchez wont ship merchandise to Alabama because they have a store in Mississippi. Driving 2 hours to the store isnt cost efficient. If its a good enough deal on something I dont need quick I will ship it to my relatives in Florida and they bring it up on the holidays.

Buy it online, have it shipped to a friend or family member in another state. Pick it up at the family Xmas get together etc.

That's a great strategy if you can do it. Back when I lived in Mass I tried to have some reloading components shipped to a friend in Vermont. As soon as Midway saw that the billing address on my Visa card was Massachusetts they refused to ship the order. As I found out, there are other vendors who don't cave to the Mass AG's unconstitutional arm-twisting, so except for the rare item that I can't find elsewhere, they lost my business that day. (And now that I live in glorious gun-friendly New Hampshire, it's not an issue any longer).

FlyFish said:
That's a great strategy if you can do it. Back when I lived in Mass I tried to have some reloading components shipped to a friend in Vermont. As soon as Midway saw that the billing address on my Visa card was Massachusetts they refused to ship the order. As I found out, there are other vendors who don't cave to the Mass AG's unconstitutional arm-twisting, so except for the rare item that I can't find elsewhere, they lost my business that day. (And now that I live in glorious gun-friendly New Hampshire, it's not an issue any longer).

Is the act of buying ammunition online and having it sent to another address/state breaking any law? It may be unlawful to bring ammunition in from another state but that is a completely different issue.

It's legal for you, as a MA resident, to buy ammo online and have it shipped to your home address. There are online dealers who will do this -- you just have to provide a copy of your FOID. Alternatively, if you don't want to give them a copy of your FOID, you can have the ammo shipped to an FFL and pick it up from them -- again, you'll need to produce the FOID at that time. However, there is no legal way to evade MA law by buying online. (Duh. :rolleyes: )

Since we've settled that, and the OP's question referred to online ammo deals and not to laws, discussion of other methods of acquiring ammo, and whether or not they're legal, is off-topic for this thread.

Thanks in advance for complying with this -- anyone with questions about what's legal in MA should feel free to post them in the Law & Civil Rights forum. This one isn't the appropriate venue.

Last edited:
Back