buying a suppressor out of home state?

jakemonroe

I am a Washington state resident but i spend most of my time in Colorado because i am a student and the university of Colorado. I turn 21 in september and the first thing on my list is to buy a suppressor. i understand the long tedious processes to obtain a NFA item but i haevn't been able to find anything on the legality of purchasing a NFA item in another state. it is legal to own a suppressor in both states but im wondering if it is like handgun sales where you can only buy them in your state of residence?

i think im going to go with the liberty mystic by the way :)

You need to be a resident of the state where you purchase the silencer. But you can bring it to another silencer-friendly state without any additional paperwork or restrictions. So just buy it in Washington and bring it to Colorado as needed (just make sure to check the rules before you bring it on campus).

thanks for the info, thats kind of a bummer because i turn 21 in CO and wont be back until Christmas. the university is actually very accommodating of gun owners. permit holders can even legally carry :)

If you're using a trust, you don't necessarily need to be in your home state to start the paperwork, you only have to be there to pick it up. See if you can find an SOT who will deal with you remotely. Your silencer won't be ready to pick up by Christmas, but you can at least get the paperwork submitted before you go home.

FWIW my .02 all legal disclaimers etc.

I have a trust and spend a ton of time traveling, a lot of it out of the country and I was able to, with the trust, email trust assignments and signed forms to my FFL and get things started that way.

Depending on what you want it may need to be transferred from out of state to your dealer on a form 3 before you really get in the process and that can take a few months alone. My experience of course but it shouldn't be insurmountable.

Edit:

Don't be scared of the process, it's not too bad really and once you get one NFA item you'll need more! Enjoy:D

Last edited:
thanks for all the help guys, the gun laws in this country are so convoluted lol. i found a dealer in CO that is a dealer for liberty suppressors i think il just head in there and talk to them and see what they think my best option is. I'm just happy in a month I'm finally an "adult" in the eyes of the ATF

Back