Buying a Savage Markii TRR-SR Across State Lines?

Ender587

Inactive
Hey guys, I am new to the forum and am in the market to buy a Savage Mark II TRR-SR 22LR or just the TR model. The gun is fairly difficult to find in my area and I am hesitant to buy online due to a few horror stories I have heard.

In town gun stores, small and large, all want 550-600+ for the gun, but I can find it for much less via private sale. My question is payment and delivery... Can I purchase the rifle without doing the whole FFL, sending it to my local dealer thing? If so, how do I pay the party and guarantee that I will receive the rifle, and in the expected condition/quality?

Very thankful for any help you guys might be able to lend me.
Ben.

in most state a private party sale does not require a background check and even buying in neighboring states is the same.

there are some exceptions to this, for example I live in new York and can buy a rifle even from a store in pa and drive home with it but a handgun requires a transfer.

ct I have to wait three days before I can pick it up for a rifle but a pistol has to be transferred.

post up your state and some one with more knowledge might tell you your options a little better

Under federal law, if the transfer happens across state lines (and that includes two people residing in differing states and but hooking up in one of the states) then it must go through a FFL.

I would not be interested in driving to Georgia, I would want the weapon shipped to me. But even if that did not require an FFL, I am still unsure of how I could pay the fellow, while still maintaining a belief that I will even receive the weapon and that it will be in the correct condition. Is there a way to guarantee that or am I going about this the wrong way?

All I know is what they tell me at the gun shows and that is that I am not aloud to sell any gun to someone from another state and that they must show me a valid drivers license from my state to sell to them.

just to clarify. my cross state line deals were with stores or vendors at a gunshow so a bg check and form were filled out.

Ender587, the ONLY secure way for you to do this is for the seller to bring the gun to a local dealer, he would in turn notify your local dealer that he has it in hand, you send funds, upon receipt his dealer ships to yours and you go thru proper paperwork and pay your dealer his fee. I doubt that he would ship to your dealer, which is legal, until he receives the money. Not only do you have to receive thru your local FFL to be legal, there have been numerous cases of scammers using a photo to effect a sale of a gun they have never owned, then disappearing with the funds, leaving you no recourse. My personal opinion is that you are a lot better off supporting your local businesses. GW

Back