Buying a safe to put in upstairs apartment. Help!

KaliGunner

Inactive
Hey everyone,
I currently live in an upstairs apartment, and can't afford to move
for a few years until I make a permanent relocation out of CA. I've
asked the landlord, and there is a waiting list for downstairs
apartments, so that is a moot point.

I'm looking for a safe, medium sized, that is fire resistant and has
good theft protection. Weight is a concern, I'm not even sure of the range, but from what I've seen in most safe delivery companies, they won't move anything over 700lbs. So I'm stuck with something mid-sized. I mostly want to keep a few rifles, mags, and the "unreplaceables" in CA in the safe. Fire resistance is something I am really concerned about, as well as theft. I'm trying as much as possible to stay away from gun cabinets...

I've been looking at a smaller Fort Knox model, or some of the
American Security ones. I live in the Southern California area, so any places where I can look would also be appreciated. Approximate weight ranges would also be a big help.

Thanks!

Another member bought one from Dean Safes a while ago and had a good experience. They delivered and everything. Their website has a large detailed selection.
http://www.deansafe.com

Do a search for Zanotti Armor (sp?). It's a safe with interlocking sides and top - just like a big Lego kit. This makes it easy to dissassemble and transport.

I took a look at the Zanotti Safes...but still looking for fire protection if possible.

I think the static weight on the floor is more of a concern to me than the moving thing. I can pay to get the thing moved up here, but the weight is the issue. The Zanotti weights about 400, would under 600 be a reasonable weight? Any ways I can distribute the weight out (platform, and such)?

Thanks for the help.

Another option:

Get the best safe you can and have it brought in by professional movers who are practiced in handling heavy objects. Many advertise as "piano movers".

My friends still tell stories about moving a safe in and out of a second storey apartment. Very un-fun.

If you spread the load across a few floor joist by using some 2x4's (or larger) I really think you will be OK.
When you think about a 200 lb guy standing on the floor he isn't taking up much area (with his feet) and he isn't falling through the floor.

Truk Vault made a neat deal that went under your bed. I liked the idea, not fire proof though.

Or better yet, leave Cali now and go to another place where you don't have to live upstairs.

Good luck with it,

Back