Buying a New Shotgun

OldSoul

I am in the process of buying a new shotgun. I want a shotgun that will be at home shooting skeet hunting doves and hunting turkeys. I'd like to stay under $350 and preferably something with a length of pull less than 14.5 inches. I am looking at the Stoeger p350 Remington 870 Winchester SXP and Maverick 88. I like the looks of the Remington 887 but the lemon woes scare me. Any suggestions or comparisons are greatly appreciated.

Don't count out the Weatherby PA-08. I've got one that IMO is a reply nice shotgun. It had an issue right out of the box with ejecting the shell but only when running the action very quickly. Had it serviced locally under warranty at no cost to me and its been great since.

Is there a reason why you're considering the Maverick 88 and not the Mossberg 500? While MSRP may be much higher, you can find the basic configurations of the 500 for only about $40 more than the Maverick, and well under your $350 price point. The extra $40 is more than worth it.

While you can shoot skeet with a pump, you asked about a gun that will be "at home" shooting skeet. Many would say that isn't a pump and at your price point you should consider some used autoloaders.

Back