Buying a new gun, need some opinions

BB

I'm looking for a really accurate pistol, a showpiece, something I can really ooooh and ahhhh over. My thoughts are drawn to two very different handguns:

Springfield Armory Stainless Longslide
I'm thinking V-16 ported .45 Super. That way I can get the lighter weight recoil spring from the standard longslide and shoot standard pressure .45ACP, and maybe buy a .400 Corbon barrel down the road just for S&G.

Dan Wesson Stainless .445 Supermag
Maybe with 4, 6 and 8 inch barrels. Lots of different ammo here, and I've heard these are real tackdrivers. Maybe have it polished.

Well, what do you guys think? Any input on these two dinosaurs?

BB

A friend of mine has a two-tone Springfield Trophy Match. Took off crappy looking wood grip panels and put on Hogue finger groove, wrap around. Looks great and is accurate beyond belief.

Nobody oohs and ahhhs more over any other gun than a high quality 1911 style. You can buy the Ferrari version lock, stock, and barrel. Or, pick a factory variant and add as you go. I think it fair to say that you could then take into any gun shop in the world and find a fair deal of interest in it.

Erik

Les Baer? Clark Anniversary 1911 melt? EGW anything? STI 10mm LongSlide? Hamilton Bowen Ruger?

Expand your horizons (I picked completely custom 1911 myself).

Some 445's have had accuracy problems...

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Ok, I guess I should have said lets keep the prices under a grand. I cant see spending $2500 for a handgun, it's out of my tax bracket.

Ah, the HighPower... Also a good choice.

For the price range you're looking at, I recommend starting with Kimber. They are the best production 1911s out there, stock with what to used to only be expensive options from the custom shops. I say "start" with a Kimber, because all to often 1911 owners feel the urge to customize to need/desire.

Erik

Don't rule out a nickel-finish Desert Eagle in .50AE caliber. Not only do they look mazing, the report when they are fired is positively amazing!

They also looked really cook in "The Matrix"......

Back