buying a handgun

ose

Inactive
I am looking to purchase my first handgun. I am not a extremely knowledged in the handguns arena, but I have been shooting quite a few times, I am looking for a 9mm or even a .40, Do You have any suggestions for a pistol? I plan on using it for home defence and target shooting.

i have been shooting alot with my wifes 40 cal glock which i found to be a very nice gun. the ammo is a little more expensive then the 9mm but for home protection a 9mm just does not cut it. i have found the 40 and the 9mm glock to be very accurate so i guess you should try them both, alot of ranges will let you rent them for about 10 bucks with a firearms id card in nj see ya

How much do you want to spend? Are your hands small or large? Do you want a SA, DA, DAO or so called Safe-Action? My choices would be the following:

SA, Browning HiPower or quality clone like the FEG
DA, SIG Sauer P226 or P228
DAO, S&W 5906
Safe-Action, Glock 17 or 19

IMHO you cannot do better than a SIG Sauer P226 for accuracy. If you want something more compact get a P228. You'll not find better out of the box accuracy and reliability.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Hi Ose and Welcome to TFL

Buying your first firearm will be personal preference. You need to go to the range and either borrow from other shooters or rent as many handguns as possible. Everyone is unique, as are your many choices in handguns. You need one that is comfortable in your hand and one that you can shoot with accuracy and ease.

Greetings OSE,
Welcome to TFL.
My advice to you is to try everything that you can get your hands on. I'm sure that you have friends that own handguns. Buy what fits you not what some sales person wants to sell.
Make notes to yourself about how each gun fits(good,bad,neutral) so you can keep track.
When it fits, and it's right, you'll know. BUY THAT ONE :) :) :). I have a few guns that I like the looks of, but they don't fit, so they stay in the safe :(.

Depends what you mean by target shooting?

If you just like to shoot at paper casually,
can't be a Glock 19 for a house gun.

Just practice and take a course or two.

WELCOME !!!! :)

I also would recommend the Browning HP 9mm but they are going fast.. There will be no more importing of this fine pistol. Depending on how much you intend to use the pistol, I normally suggest a good 4" revolver as a first handgun.

IF your looking for a good 9mm handgun I would suggest a Glock 17, but if that would be too big in your hands, try a Glock 19 or a Sig Sauer P228.

------------------
Trespassers Will Be Shot
Survivors Will Be Shot Again

Back