"buyback" is NOT firearms related

Ukrainitz

The meaning of buyback is the buying back of goods by the original seller or the buying back by a company of its own shares. No mention of firearms in this definition. So, do you want to "sellback" your firearms to an entity that did not initially sell you you that firearm? By force?
Then the definition of buyback becomes "confiscation with monetary compensation."
Buyback is being used to soften the word confiscation. Playbook for those who are against guns.

Government "buyback" (maybe you should call them "government sponsored purchase"- for technical accuracy) programs are voluntary. No one is forcing you to participate.

Personally, I am looking forward to a buyback program in my area. I have three inherited and nonfunctional firearms and I don't want to pay for repairs. Here ya go, gov'ment, I'll take my $100 each. I will have money to spend on a replacement, freed safe space, and I will not feel like I am sliding down that proverbial slippery slope to mandated confiscation.

I don't think it would be legal to use public (government) funds in a gun "buyback" program. All of the ones I've had any knowledge of used money donated by a civic group, church group, or from donations made by private citizens to pay for the guns.

The LE officers there are off duty and being paid by the gun buyback sponsors to collect the guns. At least that is how all of them work that I've known about.

What private citizens do with their money is none of my business. But I have let them pay me for a non-functional gun once. And have a couple more I'd let go if they ever have another locally.

FTF sales are legal here with no background check. But I've got to wonder about how they do this legally in some places.

The OP makes a darn good point, one which I really haven't considered before. The OP is 100% correct - no one is "buying back" any guns. It is a confiscation and no one knows who is setting the "price" or how that would be done.

Makes me wonder if it would be beneficial to get a 3-rd party appraisal now of all of my firearms.......just in case.

I think I heard something about people buying cheapo bump stocks to sell them to the Washington State Patrol for $100 or $150. I also think I remember the money ran out quickly, because the budget for it wasn’t that much. I could be mistaken on that. A lot of things have happened since then.

First off, don't take "buyback" too literally. These people are operating in a world where terms mean what they want them to mean, no matter the proper definitions. They are buying guns to get them "back" off the street. So, to them, its a "buyback".

Second point, its NOT a "confiscation". It's a totally voluntary, nothing is being taken without or with low compensation. The guns are being "sold" by their "owners free will"

Next point, the one's I've heard of somehow operate as some kind of amnesty (no idea of the legality), but guns are accepted with no checks on the sellers, or, it appears, the guns themselves. Seems to be a good way for a criminal to get rid of a stolen gun /gun used in a crime, without any risk to themselves, and with a touch of profit, to boot!

There was one in my area a few years ago,buying guns with a $100 or $150 gift card, and as you might expect, nearly all that were "bought" were non-working junk. There was one guy, who ticked off the program managers, though. He stood outside (on public property-the sidewalk) and talked to people before they went in to "sell" their gun(s).

If he found someone who had something decent, he offered them a decent (if lowball) price for it, which was always more than they would get from the "buyback" program. And, what he was doing was entirely legal. All sales were conducted in accordance with the law, when transacted. :D

There hasn't been another of those programs in my area, since....:rolleyes:

I’ve had three guns given to me over the years, because the surviving family member simply didn’t want them around.
All three were useless junk. One was an rg? .25 caliber, another was I think an Egyptian beretta knock off that looked like the entire thing was fabricated with an angle grinder and the third was a .22 rifle of some type and the bore was completely rusted shut and what was left of the rest was crumbling apart from dry rot.

I’m sure those are the types of guns going to buybacks.
My statement about the ffl was sarcasm btw.

If he found someone who had something decent, he offered them a decent (if lowball) price for it, which was always more than they would get from the "buyback" program. And, what he was doing was entirely legal. All sales were conducted in accordance with the law, when transacted.

There hasn't been another of those programs in my area, since....

I think we may live fairly close to each other.

First off, don't take "buyback" too literally. These people are operating in a world where terms mean what they want them to mean, no matter the proper definitions. They are buying guns to get them "back" off the street. So, to them, its a "buyback".

You are conflating what the OP said. His post was about confiscatory "buybacks", like what they had in Australia - not sneakers-for-guns programs and the like.
Second point, its NOT a "confiscation". It's a totally voluntary, nothing is being taken without or with low compensation. The guns are being "sold" by their "owners free will"

Next point, the one's I've heard of somehow operate as some kind of amnesty (no idea of the legality), but guns are accepted with no checks on the sellers, or, it appears, the guns themselves. Seems to be a good way for a criminal to get rid of a stolen gun /gun used in a crime, without any risk to themselves, and with a touch of profit, to boot!

I don't believe there was any amnesty period in countries, like Australia and New Zealand, which outright required citizens to turn in their guns for a pittance.

Back