Buy it or wait? Win. mod 70 XTR

Conservative

I was just in the local gun shop and saw a very nice model 70 in .30-06 with Weaver see through scope mounts and a Weaver K4 scope. They are asking $450. It is the personal gun of one of the emplyees and he says it has only had 6 rounds fired in it. I believe him. I know that the weapon is worth the price and that it should do whatever I ask of it. I am interested in long range precision shooting, and so will need to change the scope.

I haven't set aside the $ in my fun buget yet, if I wait will I find another beauty like this at this price?

I can't get over the silky smooth action, and the rifle fits me. I think i'm in love.

I am a big M70 CRF fan, but - if long range precision is your thing, your wasting money. The odds are that the $319.00 Remington at Wal-Mart will out shoot it. This is not true in every sample, but is true for the odds.

It's a very solid price, but if you shop around, you can get the M700 in a decent LR caliber for the same money.

Giz

After several hours of thought I think that it isn't really what I want. I hope that here on this forum I can occasionally type before thinking. That's what I did this time. I'm sure you have also at some time seen a firearm that got you excited and then when you really thought about it the excitement faded.

You do not say the vintage, but if it is pre-'64 or a new controlled feed action, it sounds like a nice deal. I am assuming it is older due to the Weaver K4 scope.

I am a BIG Remington 700 fan, and do not have a Winchester Model 70, but a Winchester Model 70 will always be a well loved, practical hunting rifle -- the Rifleman's Rifle.

If a pre-64 or the newer controlled feed model, in 10 years it will be worth more than a used Remington due to the many Winchester devotees and collectors.

When I was buying my deer rifle in 1977, the M700 and M70 were within a few bucks of one another at $199. A friend offered me his pre-64 in .300 H&H Magnum with a Bausch and Lomb non-adjustable scope in an adjustable mount for $250. I turned it down and bought a model 700BDL in .30-06 wanting a new gun and the .300 H&H was too much gun for whitetails for a non-reloader. He was recently offered over a grand for it since it is a desirable caliber and variation.

My 700 is still perfect, very accurate, more so than most M70s, but sure ain't worth over a grand.

So there is the choice: aura, tradition, beauty, legendary smooth action, personal fit and preference vs. my personal favorite, the M700 Remington. On the whole, in the wood stocked line, from looking a new Remington BDLs and ADLs, I think the Winchesters have nicer wood and build quality. For accuracy, and if you include the HS Precision stocked variants like the 700PSS and Varmint Synthetic (VS), the Remington has few equals for accuracy and reliability at the price. :D

The Winchester is an example of artistry in cold Steel and warm Walnut personified. :)

[This message has been edited by 700PSS Shooter (edited May 22, 2000).]

Conservative:

Remember what you learned today. More than once I looked at a rifle I just had to have afterwards and wondered why, oh why? ;)

The SKS was one like that for me.

But it has been fun... and I have learned how to make another person think he has to have what I have... and the cycle repeats. Gun collecting or gun accumulating only you decide. :D

I have a Win. Classic Stainless Synthetic in .243 with BOSS that I'd probably sell for $400. Wish I'd bought another Remington, instead. If you're interested in long-range accuracy, get the Rem., not the Win.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WalterGAII:
I have a Win. Classic Stainless Synthetic in .243 with BOSS that I'd probably sell for $400.[/quote]

WalterGAII,
What condition is M70 in and how many rounds have gone thru it? I'm definitely interested... Please email me directly at jedikch@aol.com.

Thanks!
Ken

Back