Buy an AK-47?

jlflegal

I have an opportunity to buy a "make an offer" Romanian AK-47. Is this model a good one? What would be a fair offer for it? Do AK's kick alot, how about ammo cost? I don't hunt so I'd like to have it just because of its mystique and for fun shooting at the range.

AKs in general have very mild recoil: I was pleasantly surprised. Accuracy is not great because of low tolerances on ammo, gun and short sight radius. I replaced rear V-notch with an aperture which improved accuracy a little and made it easier on the eyes.

Magazines are heavy but robust and reliable, cleaning is very easy. I like my Mak90 but don't expect it to be a long-range rifle. It is more of a carbine, IMO.

Ammo is cheap. AKs run about $450 here for the ugly Egyptians...Romanians, I think, have better finish.

Try http://www.ak-47.net for much more info.

I recently purchased a SAR-1 and have put 500 rounds through it without any of the wear on the US parts. Someone on AK-47.net related that the newer SARs have a heat treated parts kit. Someone was kind enough to email me some pics of his soft/wearing hammer, but mine looks NOTHING like that....looks brand new still. I think the SAR is the best gun out there for the money, and if you want the pistol-gripped nostalgia. Otherwise, think about the milled Hungarian 10-rounders that are readily available for <200 smackers.

happy shooting!

Back