Butstock length?

ZVP

I built a HD Pump from a Wards 12ga and it came out real nice! Just the right barrel 19 1/2", no extra hangy don stuff, no sling.Just plain and smooth!
I had to add a recoil pad since the shotgun had none. I cou;dn't locate a new flush mount so I opted for a slip-on.
The only problem is that the slip-on added over an inch to the butt.
How long should the LOP be for a HD gun? With this pad, the heel sometimes hangs up on my coat.
I don't know if just one inch cutoff would be enough? Us there a standard to follow???
I was sorta leaning toward 13 1/2" with the pd insta;;ed. Is that too short?
I don't want to cut too much off since ya can't put it back...
Some advice please?

8336676379_a3eb1fa07d_z.jpg

A lot of people prefer a shorter stock on HD guns. Some may prefer this to avoid the stock snagging during the mount. Others say that an HD gun should be used with your shoulders squared to the target (which should allow a greater range of movement and better mobility with the gun mounted). Another reason may be that LE and military have thick tactical vests or body armor, so they want shorter stocks, and then civilians want what they have.

At any rate, 12" Hogue stocks are a popular choice for HD shotguns. You might want to try a squared up mount and see if that's something you'd like. If so, a shorter stock would probably be good. If you don't like a squared up mount, you'll probably wont to leave it longer.

Chances are that you will only have a thin or light shirt on when the HD gun is needed, so I want to taylor the fit for that scenerio.
The chances of a shootout outdoors in heavy clothing are slim.
Trying to set a shotgun up just right is harder than it seems!
Persobally I looked for a "smooth" gun with nothing to overbalance it or get all hung-up on. I got mibeset-up by leaving the extra shell bandoleer off also the sling
Bo wild "dot"sights or flashlights either. To each his own... That's what makes this section so interesting. You can see many diferent thoughts on motion!
There is nothing like a 12 or 29ga shotgun to provide security for you and your household.

Thanks for all the great ideas guys!
ZVP

One consideration for choosing the stock length is when the gun can be brought up to shoulder height, slightly forward and clear of any clothing, and then brought directly back into the shoulder.
Hope that made sense.

Back