Butler Creek .22 barrel report

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Hi folks, I put the Butler Creek barrel and stock on my 10-22. I know there have been some questions about the quality of them, so thought I would share my results.

Three types of ammo were tried. After a very through cleaning, the barrel was bolted into the 10-22. So far, so good.

The first ammo used to get the scope adjusted (simmons 4 - 12 AO) was Remington/ UMC yellow box. Decent groups. The scope/rifle combo dialed right in. I had forgotten how much pain not being able to boresight your rifle can bring. Luckily I realized this quickly and went to 25 yards for zeroing.

After zeroing, I moved the target to 75 yards - the results were an inch and a half for ten rounds. (remington/umc yellow box)

The next round fired at 75 yards was the CCI SGB. Inside half an inch. I started shooting at bullet holes. I have always been impressed with these rounds and today was no exception. Very nice shooting ammo.

Third was Remington Sub-Sonics. These are hard to get around here, but so what. Results were so-so. Best group was right at an inch and a half. I like this round for the noise, but the accuracy in my rifle is poor. This load in a buddies 10-22 shoots very well, so guess he'll get my left-overs.

Conclusions. The barrel is fine. (mine anyway) SGBs continue their rein supreme for me in my rifles..

Hope this helps,

Giz

I'm not surprised. Despite their fairly successful run in the 1960s running the Lake City ammo factory for the US Gov't (.30-06 and 7.62 Match ammo got better), I've never had great results with Remington .22 RF ammo.

CCI Mini-mag solids produced tighter groups at 50 and 100 yards, compared to Rem "Target." Same for Winchester Super-X in both solids and HP.

You may want to try comparing Win Sup-X and Win T-22 with the CCI SGB. They *might* be better. But you 1 MOA capability is already a winner for most purposes!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Cheapo (edited June 07, 1999).]

Gizmo: which Butler Creek stock did you get? I've been looking at the one with the bipod, wondering about its quality.

Hi Guys,

I got the standard BC stock. I am a little leery of add-ons. Natchez had a stock/barrel combo for about $ 119 or so.

I plan to try the Winchester ammo as well as some high dollar target grade stuff. I have always liked the SGB for it's "semi" SWC profile. Sure seems to hit harder.

Have a plane to catch,

Giz

Hey Gizmo, Did you get the new light weight barrel or the standard bull (.920 dia) barrel?

Winchester Power Points shoot pretty good from my gun. I have some Federal Target ammo that shoots fantastic from it also.

I got the HB as I like the balance better. I also have assembled a bunch of ammo for some serious testing. Too durn hot here in SC, so will hit the range sometime in the next week..

Giz

Back