Butler Creek 10/22 barrels

Spirex288

Being so inexpensive, are Butler Creek barrels good for serious competition?
The type in question is the Butler Creek 20" heavy blue non fluted barrel. I can buy it for under $100.

Spirex, I've got one on my 10/22. Groups less than an inch at 75 yards. (10 rounds, CCI SGB ammo)

Not sure what your competiton will be, but that's about as tight as 10/22s get for that money. (I di have a trigger job done and have a BC stock. Simmons 4x10 AO scope)

Giz

------------------
"Hear the voices in my head, swear to God it sounds like
they're snoring." -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta"

I don't think I'll be doing any competitions soon but would like to know where it stands for it's price range. From your description, it sounds pretty good. Does material make a difference on accuracy? I have the standard blued barrel. Since the reciever is also blue, putting a stainless one on would be "different". The carbon-fiber BC barrel looks tempting. It's way lighter but the finish on the barrel looks nothing like carbon-fiber. It rather looks like cheap plastic. Since the BC barrels are "target" barrels, is it just made for match ammo or can I use any .22lr?

The match chambers are designed with match ammo in mind. You may very well a live round (for example, a Stinger) in the rifle and have a problem extracting it. (haven't tried it personally)

It's my opinion that by the time you get through tweaking the 10/22 up to almost match grade accuracy, the same money could have purchased a true match grade .22.

The tight groups that I get from my 10/22 would not even get me in the ball park of a BR 50/50 match. But those mods will stand me in good shape for a silouette match or any hunting situation. (or the Chevvy Sportsman competition - which is where the HB 10/22 came from anyway)

The jury is out on stainless vrs. blued vrs. carbon-fiber as regards accuracy. I think the quality of manufacture far outweighs the material the barrel was manufactored from..

Giz

------------------
"Hear the voices in my head, swear to God it sounds like
they're snoring." -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta"

Back