Butchs Bore Shine will get copper out

Wendyj

I posted a few months ago about a 7 mm mag that no matter what I did copper was always stuck to the lands. I tried Hoppes. Break free. Copper remover plus. And even the Bore shine. I let the bore shine set for 15 minutes per instructions and nothing. Saw a gunsmith yesterday having a little work done and he said leave it in all night. I put a wet patch through the barrel at 11 last night. Got up at 6 this morning and ran a brush through for about 10 strokes and a few patches and copper is gone. Put some caseys gun scrubber in to get all the bore shine out and a little ballistol after to keep from rusting. Now to see if I get my accuracy back. My old 1972 Winchester got the same treatment this morning and about 30 minutes ago it is spotless.

A couple of comments.

A Lyman Boro Scope is a good investment. It shows you how you are doing and barrel condition.

Add into that, rougher barrel are harder to clean and it will show you that.

Last, try one of the modern cleaners, for yours I would go with the Bore Tech eliminator and then maintain with Carbon Killer 2000

There are other modern chemicals out there, probably same formulas or close enough.

I have cleaned WWI and II military guns with amazing results.

note: don't get the Lyman scope unless you can detach your shooting from a bore condition, the roughness has nothing to do with how well they shoot, just how badly they carbon and copper up.

Really can't afford a bore scope right now. I've got a friend that is annealing my brass right now that has one and he's going to check it out for me. It's just an old adl that my husband has had for 20 years or so and can buy another one cheaper than a new barrel. It was cloverleaf ing dime size groups and they started opening up to 2 inches. Ok for some I guess but not my husband.

I like the Bore Tech, and believe me I've spent time and money on this subject.
It doesn't have any ill effects on steel no matter how long it's in your barrel, label says run a saturated patch through after cleaning to preserve the barrel,and has no dangerous chemicals in it.
But if you had luck with a product then by all means keep using it. I still have a jug of KG12 that will Rot on my shelf because it wasn't as advertised for me......

Really can't afford a bore scope right now. I've got a friend that is annealing my brass right now that has one and he's going to check it out for me. It's just an old adl that my husband has had for 20 years or so and can buy another one cheaper than a new barrel. It was cloverleaf ing dime size groups and they started opening up to 2 inches. Ok for some I guess but not my husband

Wendy: I read a write up on the Lyman and out of curiosity did a search.

Amazon popped up at $160 (list is $260) . I don't often buy things like that, pretty basic guy gun wise, but between the report and deep curiosity on cleaning particularly but also mil surplus condition, I bought it.

It is indeed as advertised. Camera approaches the Hawk eye from what I can tell, the display screen is very good.

It does not have various heads and the screen capture is very low resolution.

But for an in person look (and that's mostly what is done) it is amazingly good at a higher price let alone that.

I don't see it getting less expensive, you would have to drop camera quality and that would defeat the purpose.

I tried them all and for me the best was the foaming bore cleaner . nothing else was even close

No being argumentative but I would be curious if you had tried the two I listed?

I haven't tried the foaming ones, these has such a well written recommendation I spent the bucks and getting them up here is not cheap. Well worth it.

I have a can of Sweets that is not going to be used now.

you know what happened RC I used sweets for a while and left it overnight in 2 rifles and accuracy suffered scratching the bore. read about it when it was to late. but a couple of my friends used the bore shine and others and they said they like the foam. the bore shine worked but I think the foam is cheaper

the 7mm mag round is a copper fouling machine. I've had terrible troubles with mine. I took it to a smith to see if he could get it clean. he did but I haven't shot it since then.

I made a bunch of loaded down rounds which are still plenty powerful enough to take deer but hopefully wont foul the barrel as much.

And again, the Bore Tech eliminator will get rid of copper and carbon.

What looks clean may not be, that's where the Lymans is such a great too.

It tells you what works and what does not and now you are doing.

I don't try to keep the Savage barrels pristine, can't do it.

But I can see I am keeping it down as much as possible.

The Shilen and XC clean up much better as they are smoother.

One of the smoothest barrels we looked at was a Remington and those are hammer forged.

I would not buy a 7mm Savage rifle (or at least keep the barrel) Too rough and maint too high.

Montana extreme gets CU out better than anything I have ever used. I have found out over the years that most of my rifles shoot best when they have some CU in the barrels. When I get them too clean, I have to get them dirty again to obtain best accuracy.

Also been using Butch's a long time. Recently, I tried JBs Bore Compound and Bore Bright on a couple of Blackhawk's that had some lead build up. Absolutely fantastic results, so I tried the Bore Bright after regular cleaning on two new rifles with only a few Hornady's through them. It is named correctly - those barrels SHINE!

Anyone get a Borescope and look inside?

Don't get me wrong, I lucked out and got a great deal on a Borescope.

Not that it means they won't shoot, but its a real eye opener to look at what you are or are not getting clean.

My Savage barrels have crud that will never come out, ripply rough, no way to get a bristle at em (well maybe from the front)

Shoots fine, but shiny clean does not necessarily means clean.

Hammer forged are smooth and clean up pretty good, button rifled depending on whose barrel not as good, good ones ok, Savage, ugh.

I use Bore Tech Eliminator & like it very well. A few years ago you could walk through the 1000 yard IBS tables & this was their choice also. Just saying.

If you really want to get Cu out: Take a cleaning brush and wrap a patch around it. Oil the patch with Kroil. Use your fingers to work pure tin oxide into the patch. Stroke the bore 8 to 10 times, adding oil about every second stroke.
(I might add, this is not idiot proof. You can RUIN a barrel.)

Back