Business question

Soclosenotnear

I have kind of a weird question that I'm not sure who to ask and thought maybe someone here may have insight

I've managed a pawn shop for the past ten years and have recently decided to start a business of my own doing practically the same thing. I intend on simply buying merchandise for resale online. I am well rounded on everything I've learned from the pawn shop, and there are opportunities with many different kinds of items.

Of course, since I'm a firearms enthusiast, it occured to me to resell guns. I've held an FFL at my job at times over the years and sell guns constantly at work. When I leave, I'm not necessarily interested in becoming an FFL holder personally, but could my business part out guns? Could I dismantle a firearm and sell its parts while keeping the serial numbered "gun" part of it. I don't see why I would need an FFL but is there anything else that sounds weird about that idea. The business is a sole proprietorship. I would typically be selling jewelry, tools, instruments, electronics, etc.

Thanks for the advice.

P.s. I would/will hate to take perfectly fine guns apart to sell its parts. I have several numbers matching, original, guns it would be a shame for someone like that to get ahold of. But I'm taking a leap here and need every edge I can find to support my family. Hopefully the parts will make other guns more whole and usable again. Yada yada yada.

If the business is receiving the firearms for any purpose, there must be an FFL.
One might think, "well, I'll just buy them myself and then transfer the parts to the business." But then you're simply creating a separate 'business'.

Buying and/or selling firearms for livelihood and profit requires an FFL. It's that simple.

It's not like an 01 FFL is expensive or difficult to obtain; and you're already familiar with the bookkeeping necessary. Take the safe and legal route. Don't try to skirt the ATF by pretending there's a 'grey area'.

Makes sense. No, I was definitely not trying to skirt atf. I'll just look into obtaining an FFL personally. That'll only open up the doors more anyways. Thanks for the clarification.

Back