Bushnell Vs. Burris

firemediceric

Now that I have chosen my .308 AR-10 type rifle to reach out to 600 yards with, it's time to choose an optic. I would like to know opinions on the Bushnell Elite Tactical series versus the Burris XTR II scopes. Is one far and away better than the other?

I am also interested in thoughts on the warranties and any customer service experiences.

My son has a Vortex, admittedly one of their offerings at the lower end of their menu, there's some issues about it that he doesn't like. When he pointed out the lack of a true zero stop as well as how poorly the caps fit over the lenses, I became soured.

I already have a Burris XTR II on my Ruger Precision. I like that scope. I have three Burris 3x scopes on my carbines. All and all I like their products and take comfort in their warranty, although I have never put it to the test.

I am looking at Bushnell because from what I read they seem comparable to Burris in regards to what they offer for the price.

I am a big fan of both manufacturers but for different reasons. Now Bushnell offers a no questions asked policy on their scopes. So that has changed things a Lil bit.
First off I loved the elite series because it was a great value. I've had one on a 300 weatherby for atleast 10 years now and never had a problem. Alot of things changed between Baush&laumb and Bushnell since their introduction. I honestly don't know all the details.

The Burris was my favorite for years and I own over 20 of them. They have always had a great warranty and I've had to send 3 back. 2 right out of the box but that was handled quickly and efficiently. The 3rd was after several years and that model had been discontinued. The black Diamond. They called and asked what I would like for a replacement. I told them I had the scope on a 220 swift and basically used it to shoot crows out of the pecan trees at 200 to 400 yards. They sent a signatureasy series to me and it is still one of my favorite scopes.

On my ar10 I have the Mtac 4.5x14. I've never felt I needed more or less. I have other ar's with eotechs for short range work.

They both have great warranty and you will be happy either way unless you compare them to much higher priced scopes.

The information in that comment is just what I have been looking for. From what I read, Bushnell has just stepped up the coverage on their warranty as of the beginning of this year. I take that to mean that if I purchase a used scope that was manufactured prior to 1/16, the no questions asked warranty will not apply. That will greatly limit the pool of used scopes for consideration.

Another issue, unless I'm missing something, is that where the Burris XTR II scopes have an illuminated reticle, the Bushnell Elite scopes do not. That never would have mattered to me until I recently took a PRS class that included low-light and night time shooting. Now I want to have the option of the illuminated reticle despite how infrequently it may be used.

I continue doing my research, Burris is nosing out Bushnell for my needs/wants

Bushnell's QC is reported as having gone down hill I suspect since Vista Outdoors acquired 'em.
Warrantee only covers "any defects in materials and workmanship." Isn't a blanket warrantee.
Scope on a regular AR-10 will be really high too.

I have a bushnell trophy hunter xlt i think its called and found it to be poor quality when sighting in. it didn't take to holding a good zero and had to frequently adjust. my vortex was better

At that price point since to me and I reiterate, to me the glass is about the same I would choose the scope that has the most internal adjustment in MOA, which would allow me to extend my range to 1000 yards without having to purchase a 20 moa base. Just my two cents.

Burris for me

My dealings with Burris have all been positive,and I've never had to return one, and as near as I can count, I'm running 3 and had dealings with a 4th.

My only current Bushnell is a 10x Elite fixed, which has done fine. But....prior that, say in the past 20 years, I've had several of their cheaper models go south....Sportviews mostly, , a vintage Banner...maybe another model too.. Seems like I had to send them a check for $10.00 to cover costs....that got old quick.

Thank you all for taking the time to weigh in. I went with the Burris XTR II 4-20x50 with the Horus reticle. I hope it will serve me well.

Back