Bushmaster XM15E2S Target 20''or Shorty

Brenda

I want to get one of these rifles. I would like some feedback about these two rifles.
I want to know if I order one with a fluted barrel will it take longer for me to get it?

Brenda - If you want to know about delivery intervals for a fluted barrel, I'd call Bushmaster.

As for the rest - what do you intend to use the rifle for? If you're looking at match shooting, you'll want the 20" barrel (minimum). Fluting and free floating, as well as many others, are in the domain of a serious match rifle.

If you're looking for a fun plinker, I'd say go for the shorty (16").

Besides, if your needs change in the future, you can just order another upper, pop it on, and you're set.

AR15 magic. :)

Cliff

Brenda,

I think there's a whole bunch of AR-15 folks over in "The Art of the Rifle" forum. So I'll move your thread from the General forum to "The Art of the Rifle" so they can help you.

------------------
Either you believe in the Second Amendment or you don't.
Stick it to 'em! RKBA!

I shoot a Shorty with free-floated barrel and JP trigger/hammer combo. Shoots tight groups. I don't think you'd see too much accuracy benefit under 300 yds with a 20" barrel. I know that you wouldn't see any accuracy benefit with flutes. If anything, flutes cut after the rifling is done are inclined to result in poorer accuracy. There is some minimal cooling advantage, but, contrary to Bush's claim, flutes do not stiffen a rifle. That's silly physics.

Brenda,
Welcome to the world of the AR15!

What kind of shooting are you intending on doing with your AR? If you are interested in plinking, CQB or home defense, you may be better served with the 16" shorty. If you are going to shoot DCM matches or varmint shoot the 20" will be the rifle you want.

One of the good things about the AR15 is that you can have both worlds in one weapon. Simply changing the upper receiver group will allow one rifle to perform both functions.

A word of warning though, ARs tend to multiply in your safe, pretty soon the extra 16" upper somehow finds a lower and becomes another rifle :) Not sure how that really happens, but I now have six ARs in various configurations in my safe (that took 19 years though :)

Jeff

Back