Bushmaster AR-15 vs Savage Axis

Both guns shooting American Eagle 223 50gr varmint.

5 Shot groups at 200 yards:

So you demonstrated that your AR shoots that ammo far, far better than your Axis?

My Savage shoots anything under 69gr terrible, so far. Although, I haven't had anything shoot quite that tight at 200 yards (like your AR). I've seen a lot of ARs shooting 4" groups at 100 yards too but I assume it was the terrible ammo.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've shot a bunch of AR/M4s and more than a couple of savage bolt rifles. I would call Savage CS and scream if I found a model that a rack grade AR could out-shoot... Until I bought my son an Axis and we tried to straighten it out. Savage accused me of expecting model 10 accuracy out of an axis. I replied with "yes, yes I do. The Stevens 200 was just as accurate as a savage 110." They wouldn't help any. Its the rifling process used. Clean the bore after five shots and it will hold near 1moa. Shoot a string of 10 and watch it open up to nearly 2.5moa. I'll have to look for it, but I've read a recommended accuracy expectation (from Savage) of a stock axis as 1.5-2moa. Most AR rifles will do 1moa rather handily with the right ammo.

Just my experience...

Bushmaster 90641 Varminter 5+1 223REM/5.56NATO Flat-Top
Sightron SIII SS 8-32x56 LR MOA 25149
Green Mtn 22" barrel
Geissele Hi-Speed National Match Triger

Savage Axis
Rifle Basix Triggers Savage arms SAV-RAT (#SAV-RAT)
SIGHTRON SIII SS10-50X60 LR MOA,SIII 30MM

Just try finding something the axis may like. If you reload , one way would be to perform a ladder test for it, regardless it is good shooting.

That's hardly what I would call a production Bushmaster--outstanding results nonetheless. You'll probably have to do some searching for the right load the axis likes--but when you find it it should tighten up I would think

Is that an Axis with the newer accu-trigger?
Just curious.
Probably an axis 1 would be my guess--the rifle basix trigger being one of the best-value triggers for the model. They can shoot well once you find the right load--my axis 1 308 with rifle basix trigger could do this with a 4 x 12 scope at 100 once I found a load it liked.

Back