Bushmaster ar-15... opinions please for the newbie.

[lurk mode OFF]

okie... just plunked down $200 clams (layaway) for a Bushmaster XM15 E2S Target model with chrome-lined 20" heavy barrel. Anyone have any opinions on this particular rifle; i.e.- accuracy, reliability, etc... Would you customize, and if so, how?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Ari

The only customization I could see as beneficial would be the addition is a strap, or as other prefer, a sling.

I suppose I could justify a scope since you bought the target model.

Still, this is a fine rifle as it is; save your money to buy cartridges for now.

Duncan

Ariloulaleelay,

Welcome to The Firing Line!

You've made a sound and obviously well-informed choice with which to round out your recreation and peace of mind.

The Bushmasters are good rifles right out of the box. Wait on the customizing until you've learned to use it to the limit of what it will do, as is. Then take your time about add-ons, as most of us have boxes (or stacks of footlockers) of accessories and accouterments that were the "cat's meow" at the time. Stick to the K.I.S.S principle. Your rifle and wallet will both thank you.

(ps: obviously I'm not an author of articles in a gun rag!)

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited September 03, 1999).]

Good choice of an AR. Bushmaster has a sound reputation among the target shooting community.

Like Mykl suggested, shoot it first and find out what it does or doesn't do for you. At that point, considering what you'd like it to do, modify it accordingly. Enjoy.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

What kind of shooting are you intending to do with your new AR? If you're not interested in competition like highpower matches, then your rifle needs only a good sling to begin with. How's your stock trigger? Can you live with it, or do you already want something better? The best value I've seen is sending it to Frank White at Compass Lake Engineering for one of his 2-stage triggers. Cost is about $95, or about half what some of the custom units run. If you want to shoot high power, you're going to need a free-float tube installed. CLE can do that too, for $125. You can go a long ways with these two mods, and I agree that the BM is a very good AR.

I have a BM shorty, 16" vs. 20" barrel. It is a fine rifle. The only thing I think you might need is more ammo and magazines. BM's are good right out of the box. BM does not recommend steel cased ammo, its hard on the extractor.

Clean it and clean it again before you take it out for the first time. Break it in per the factory instructions. Go over to www.ar15.com and there is a link to BM. Lots of good information there.

Have fun, you made a good choice.

I love the Hogue replacement grip I just put on my AR. It was $20 at the gun show and made a world of difference to me.

Have fun.

The only modification I would do to a new Bushmaster is apply Tetra grease on the trigger group.

Later,
Rich

I moly coated my bolt carrier, and the bore...
Then I have a "Scout" configed red dot gunsite over M4 gaurds and a vertical foregrip.
Blackhawk industries tac sling.
Match trigger.

Ah... Okay - I have been playing with mine for awhile...

------------------
"Supreme authority derives from a mandate from the masses. Not from some farsicle aquatic ceremony."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Oh yeah, this is a target model? I would consider adding a Harris Bipod, along with using Tetra grease on the trigger group. I like the real short, non-swivel Harris bipods but others like the swivels. Also, if you're not going to get a scope right away, then I've seen a set of different colored A2 front sights that might be cool. It would be really great if HiViz made fiber-optic front sights for AR's. I have the HiViz front sight on a Mossberg 590 and it's really bright in daylight. :)

Later,
Rich

Everyone... thanks for the info!

However- have to put the gun on hold. I'm about to become a daddy for the 1st time this week, so my "baby" will have to wait until the official "baby" makes it's way into the fold. :) :) :)
Again, thanks for the heads-up, guys.

SB: yup. :)

Back