burrs on outside of crown

riverratt

I have been struggling with finding an accuret load for my kids H&R 44 mag for a wile now. My best handloads only shoot about 4in groups at 50yrds. I have tried just about everything.

Well i moved from indiana to kentucky last year so they now use a .243 and 7mm-08 for deer. I figured if they arnt gonna use it anymore ill just put a full size stock on it and use it as a close range brush gun.

I have replaced the stock and cleaned up the trigger to around a 6lb pull. I also did a full inspection of the gun wile i had it apart. What i noticed was at the top of the lands on the crown there is a small burr, all the lands all the way across. Does this mean that i need a smith to recrown the barrel, or will it even effect the accuracy?

Can you upload a picture of the damage? Also, what r you tested?

I dont know how to do pictures, and even if i could i cant even see the burrs just feel them, if i try to run a cotton patch through the muzzle it will catch some fibers on the burrs.

200gr XTP, 240gr XTP, 225gr FTX, 240gr rem sjhp, and my 240gr cast bullets.
With all bullets i have tried from starting to max loads in .2gr incraments of 296 H-110, unique, 4227, and 800X. My best accuracy was with 22gr of 4227 under my cast bullets. A distant second was the same powder under the 240gr XTP.

I almost forgot the factory loads 240gr simi jacket wwb, 200 and 240gr hornady XTP, and 225gr hornady FTX

Re-crowning a barrel isn't complicated
You're just squaring and polishing the end of the rifling.

It can be done by hand either with a kit, or even by using a bullet or round head brass screw and some polishing compound

Google "recrowning barrels" and you'll find lots of instructions, methods, and tools

It can be done by hand either with a kit, or even by using a bullet or round head brass screw and some polishing compound

Thanks, i tried this and got the burrs off. I drove to the range just to check and put 3 shots touching at 50yrd. The POI changed so i sighted it in but ran out of time to test at 100

Back