Burning down the Range

eeniii

I have to share this w/ y'all. While at the Range today I was setting up and then waited to go down range, on the other end of the 100yd area was two guys whooping it up while shooting M1A's. I waited. Finally they said to go ahead downrange. While setting targets up suddenly a snap and crackle and 6ft flame appears up on the berm about 15ft up. The other guys were on the way down range and one runs up to the office and lets the owner know and the other checks out the other side of the berm.( nothing but dirt on the other side) Within minutes the whole berm is on fire 1000yds long along back of the range and 100yds along side. The smoke drove out all on the range (appx 10) till it eventually burned out 45 min later. The thing that really p***** me off was these guys were shooting tracers at a target set up half way down range on the 100yd area which was sending the rounds above the steel and sand area of the berm. Pretty ignorant in my mind.I could be wrong. After the fire and setting up again I shoot for a while and decide to go down to these two yahoos and just see what they were all about. I talk about lack of magazine availability ( I own a ar10 and have trouble finding mil spec mags) and their several vintage guns and how fast the fire burned. After some conversation I learn these guys are DEA. After I say why were you guys shooting, basically, incindearies into the dry grass. The resonse was that "well gail didn't say anything about not shooting tracers" Come on.
No wonder the War on Drugs is being lost.

If they were fans of/shooting the M1A, they can't be all bad. Unless they were shooting the confiscated property of innocent civilians. It happens. Amazing the way firearms paperwork in the judicial system gets "misplaced" and how things slip out of the courthouses and property rooms. Don't ask me how I know this.

DEA huh?
I knew a lot of those guys...
Unlike other federal agencies - there are still a lot off Good Ol' Boys there. Now most Fed G-man are Accountants with Badges...

A couple Feds out shooting off duty and not anything to do with Qualifications? We need more of that!

Grass on the berm? It'll grow back...

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Perfect example of cheese-brained 'them vs. us' mentality of most federal yahoos.

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

Whats wrong with accountants? ;)
I wouldn't clalk this up as federal stupidity, I would just say that it was a couple of guys who weren't thinking. Not that that ever happens at a firing range, or anything. At least they seem to like guns.

CORRECTION TO EARLIER POST:

What was ment to say regarding Federal Accountant with Badges was that they are nothing BUT accountants, no slight in that, that they have no interest in Firearms and shoot only when required to for annual quals...

I Know a lot of accounts who shoot - and I have an account do my taxes every year...
I owe a lot to my account... namely about 94 bucks ;)

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

That's the second incident I've heard of people setting fire to a range with tracers. I know it happened a few years at a now defunct range in Georgia...

At least they didn't have to call the Fire Dept. at this one...

Back