Bumping the safety on the Makarov?

VictorLouis

Have any of you experienced this? The lower edge of the safety touches the knuckle of my thumb as the slide recoils. This bumps it off of the fire position slightly. Just a bit of upward rotation is enough to prevent a hammer blow to the firing pin, but not enough to de-cock it.

This did not seem to happen to me when it was new and stiff in operation. Indeed, it sliced me up pretty good until I de-horned it! Now that it is thoroughly broken in from repeated de-cocking, it's causing me consternation.:( I absolutely cannot stand the formatting of the board at Mak.com(I have WebTV). If any of you have read it about it there, can you let me know? Thanks.

Yeesh, that's sounds like a real problem. I've never had that happen to me when shooting my Russian Makarov. I'm glad you posted it though, as I'd never even considered it. Mebbe when you had it dehorned and slicked you went a little too far on the decocker?? Keep me posted on the resolution. I've only broken my gun in over the past 5 years, the decocker is nice and crisp and would take a deliberate push to decock, I really don't even think it could happen while the slide was moving. But, ya know, at the price these things sell for...lol. Keep me posted.

Mak problems

the exact same thing happened to me when I used it at a shooting school; cut the heck out of my thumb. Part of the problem was the technique the school taught for holding the gun which extended your left thumb out along the frame with the right one over the based of the left thumb--thr right thumb would seem to kick up and nudge the safety, leaving me struggling to get off another round. The upshot was I decided not to use the Mak for sef defense after that course, most because of that reason and doing mag changes with similated misfires--the heel release didn;t get the job done. I liked the gun but after that episode decided to go another way.

If I make a conscientious effort to extend my right thumb, I don't contact the safety. The trouble is, this grasp doesn't translate well to some of my other guns.

I've always kept my firing hand thumb curled down, with my support hand thumb curled down over my right thumb nail. This forces the base knukle of my gripping thumb up where the safety can contact if. No, I didn't remove too much with the Dremel, LOL.:) I need to fiddle with it a bit more, I guess. Yeah, a replacement part for the Mak is about as cheap as it gets.

Back