Bullt

somedude

Inactive
I may try to take a whitetail with my Ar 223. What ammo do y’all recommend. Is shoot coyotes with flocci vmax 50. Don’t think that ammo would be the best
Option for deer. Any help es. Thanks

I’d use a Barnes TTSX bullet at 62g. Anything lighter is designed for coyotes, etc. The Barnes bullet will not fragment and is designed for deer sized game.

No idea about suitability for deer, but I've taken two hogs - each on the order of 100 - 150 lb - with the Barnes TSX 62 grain at just under 100 yards.

One dropped right there, the other ran about 30 yards and dropped.

When the OP says “ammo” does he mean what component bullet to use, or what commercial ammunition? This is a reloading forum, so I’ll assume the former. Hornady makes the VMax bullets, not Fiocci so I don’t know what he means he is currently using. I’ve used various 60-62 grain bullets in my AR carbine on deer, the best being the 60-grain Nosler Partition. Great expansion and penetration, but considering the lack of availability of bullets today he’ll probably have to settle for what he can find.

Since we haven't heard back, I suspect you are right that he meant loaded ammo and not a reload. But I'm not 100% sure. If he comes back to us and says he meant loaded ammo, then I'll move the thread out of Handloading.

223 is on the light side for deer, but it can be done with good bullet selection. I would recommend something with a bonded bullet, or solid copper. Speer gold dots, or barnes.

If factory ammo, federal fusion 62 grain or gold dot in 62 or 75gr. These are bonded bullets, they expand well and penetrate deep.

If loading your own, you can purchase the 62gr gold dot as a component. I use a 223 Wylde chamber, and load them to speers 5.56x45mm load data. Cfe223 27.2gr gets me 3100fps from my white oak 18in spr barrel, and 3 quarter inch groups at a hundred yards.

As a side note, I also load the 62gr gold dot for my 10.5in AR pistol. 26.7gr TAC gets me 2700fps. Both loads use a CCI 41 primer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back