Bullets vs Bucks

• Thread starter Thread starter .
  • Start date Start date

(transplanted from Rifle forum - Bullpups thread)

Kodiac: "Thank HEAVENS China has no capability to project military might this far. They got missiles..."

What makes you think their capabilities are limited to missiles reaching us? Money does more damage than bullets ever could!

The PLA has many legitimate businesses in this country. And, they continue to enjoy the long standing "most favored nation" trade status. This is why we were able to get such good deals on Clayco, Norinco and Polytech firearms, all manufactured, shipped, imported and distrubuted in this country by the PLA. The PLA had steeped itself so much into economic warfare (c.f. Japan's auto industry) that the Bejing Gov't had to jerk their leash, hard, to prevent them from becoming a totally autonomous entity on the free market.

This only alludes to the free market trade issues, and not the political issues surrounding alleged donations and influence buying at the highest levels of our government. This is why I give money to the NRA-ILA, in a sense to enter the fray with checkbooks blazing.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited 10-24-98).]

Yeah China is in bed with us economically - most of the world is. China would be hurt more if we jerked FN status from them - than if they trashed it and pulled away from us. They NEED our fresh capitol. Not as bad as some of the former Soviet Union countries... but they still need our money. I can see more than a few "All a Dollar" Stores closing real fast if they pulled. But cheap products could easilly be had from South American sources... In fact Brazil should get the FN status... They need the economica assistance because of the domino effect through out S A if Brazil falls.
That would pull us down I think more sharply than China would. Heck, What would we do with the tragic loss of Taurus guns and the Springfield 45's?

I was speaking BULLETS though in my thread... in an Armed conflict against the US... China is like a snarling dog, but at the end of a chain. Can't reach us.
That was my answer to no particular question...

I agree with your statement of us being in bed with the world, economically. We see the impact of this on Wall Street every time someone gets burned on a risky venture in other markets. I think the reason there is limited economic rapport with Brazil by the G8 is due to their inability to implement effective controls for their runaway inflation and to bridge the gap between the two classes, the rich and the destitute. I agree with you that it's a shame, because they have so much to offer as a world player, but are disadvantaged on the playing field due to investor's fear of getting burned by investing with them. I sense that a collapse is anticipated and the "vultures" will pick-up the pieces of economic chaos and restructure the regional markets. Success on such a venture will be determined by the ability to influence each sovereignty’s infrastructure and domestic policies.

I agree that the investment thing is troublesome and bears watching, but the real threat is industrial espionage. I don't think many folks have any idea the amount of technology transfer that goes on from all the Chinese studying and working here. I'm inthe software business, and we've got a bunch of Chinese coders working here on green cards. Most want to stay in this country, but that doesn't mean they don't work for the mother country, too. (BTW, I don't mean to single out just the Chinese, many nationalities are snaking us, including our so called allies, but their stellar performance at respecting intellectual property rights makes the Chinese particularly worth watching).

Interesting point about Brasil, Mykl. As you're probably aware, the NSA/CIA keeps profiles on all the countries in the world. One of the benchmarks is the distribution of wealth, which is a big swinger in the stability index. Brasil isn't as bad as some, but as long as there is that big disparity betwen the rich and the poor ( and a small midle class), a long term stable economy isn't likely and periodic bailouts will be necessary and the prospects for 'revolution' become better.

The new world warefare is definitely economic. Just another little pinch of paranoia for Wednesday. M2

[This message has been edited by Mike in VA (edited 11-04-98).]

THE DAILY BRIEF from INTELLIGENT NETWORK CONCEPTS, INC.
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 10, 1998
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* International Monetary Fund officials say a broad agreement has been reached with Brazil concerning an economic aid package.
- a final accord is expected to be reached this week.
- reports say the agreement could bring as much as $45 billion to Brazil.

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited 11-11-98).]

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 11, 1998
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* The World Bank has reportedly approved more than $3 billion in emergency loans for Argentina to help that nation's economy recover from declines.

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 1998
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* The International Monetary Fund is expected to announce a package of $45 billion in emergency loans to Brazil today.
- reports say the move is aimed at preventing an Asia-like economic crisis in Latin America.

Back