Bullets rattling forward?

w_houle

Yup, it's me and that 1851 colt conversion. Traded the funky box of remington green to my neighbor. Neighbor had two more boxes of Remington green and they were fine. So anyway I got two boxes of Remington and a box that my neighbor reloaded 225 gr lswc on 6.5 gr unique. All three boxes the leads the bullets rattled loose until they started catching on the barrel. I would then have to push the bullet back to its original position to make the gun function.

Possible causes could be improper or no crimping, undersized bullets, improperly resized brass, or some combination of the three.

I can understand on the reload box, but on th two boxes of factory ammunition? How can I look at a bullet and tell if it has enouigh crimp?

I`d say they have no crimp at all ..I`ve made that mistake in my reloading before ..same results . They would work fine in a single shot pistol ..

I had 500 45 acp remington/umc ball with no crimp, case tension or adhesive. I had to taper crimp them to keep the bullet from shoving back into the case.
Also ran across a box of 158 S&B lead rn that were pulling under recoil. No amount of crimp would fix those though other lots of the same ammunition didn't have the problem.

Back