Bullet wt used in P1

firestorm829

Inactive
I have a P 1, I am trying to find the original bullet wt, and if possible the muzzel volicity it produced, as issued to the German Military.

I have been told two conflicting stories

Story one:

The original round was much lighter than a modern 9mm, therefore the standard NATO round is too much for the gun.

Story two:

The 9mm round as loaded in Europe is much hotter than that used in the United States, therefore using modern NATO 9mm ammo does not matter.

The 9mm Parabellum was introduced for the Luger in 1904. The original was a flat pointed jacketed bullet of 125 grains @ 1,040 fps.Then it was changed to a round nose.At one time they also had a 90 grain bullet. The Luger and P38 [P1] prefer longer [ heavier] bullets for feeding .I too have heard many stories about the pressure over the years and I'm still confused !! Earlier american loads often wouldn't function the european guns, they like full loads .:confused:

P38/p1

I have fired the P1 with 115 grain JHP and 125 grain cast. They both functioned properly. I just reloaded some 115 grain FMJ Hollow Base, I plan to try them next. Thanks for you input.

Depends. If your P1 has the Polaris marked upgrades or if it was manufactured after 1975, you are fine with almost all modern loads. I use Speer GDHP +P in my 1976 P1 for field carry. I use Remington Golden Sabres as well. 124 gr or 147 gr works fine in my P1. Walther P38 or P1 magazines work fine also. I have run 135 gr Federal Hydra-Shoks through it and had 0 problems.

Back