Bullet Weight For Deer In 270 Wby Mag?

Chipster

I've been focusing on the 150 grain cartridge in the 270 Weatherby Magnum. But, is there any reason a lighter bullet wouldn't work in the deer hunting woods of Kentucky? The round comes in 130 grain Nosler partition, 140 grain Barnes X, and 150 grain Nosler partitition.

Chipster,

I think I speak for everyone when I say that NONE of those will reliably kill a deer. You'll need a .458 Win Mag for most Kentucky deer, I'd imagine, unless you keep the range within 10 or 15 feet.

:) :) :)

In all seriousness, I doubt the deer could tell the difference at most heavily wooded ranges. I don't even think the heavier bullets would have any 'brush-bucking" advantages.

Good luck with the deer!

Larry

Any is fine - I'd probably go with 130s since they're going to be a tad easier on the shoulder, and will cause more hydrostatic shock, due to velocity (potentially less tracking to be done). I'd also find a factory (or handload a) light load, as that cartridge is a bit of overkill for that purpose, it seems to me.

With the 130 at close range you might end up with a huge hole in the deer and lots of blood shot meat . Even the 150 will be going too fast . For factory loads stick to a very heavily constructed 150. If you hand load use a 150 loaded down.

doesnt matter to the deer

both light and heavy bullets have advantages as listed above but when a bullet is going at .270WM velocity that deer is gonna go ow and fall over very quickly. i have used 150gr. power points and 130 grain SSTs i only took deer with the 150 and they blew up more than i would have liked

270 Weatherby

It's a surprise to me. I didn't know you had any 400-500 yard shots to take down there. Jack O'Conner used to use a 130 grain bullet for averything up to Moose out of a regular 270 Winchester (Not a magnum), but I'd be afraid that light of a bullet out of a Weatherby might explode or shed it's jacket at the velocities you are talking about. I guess I'd go with a 150-175 grain just to try and not destroy too much meat.

My theory is that if one moves up from a standard cartridge to a magnum cartridge, he should take a heavier bullet over higher velocity. Heavier bullets when compared to lighter counterparts in the same caliber tend to have better sectional densities, better ballistic coefficients, hold their place in the wind better, and penetrate better. The lighter bullets would offer higher velocity, which in turn would give you a flatter trajectory, but it is far easier to estimate range than wind.

Bloodshot meat should not be a problem if you shoot behind the shoulder or for the neck, and recoil difference for any .270 caliber is negligible, regardless of bullet weight.

Bottom line is pick whichever takes your fancy, you don't have a bad choice out there.

Like the Barnes-X

I like the Barnes-X in my 7mmRem (150gr) for whitetail to elk...My inlaw used one in 140gr in his .270Wby with great results on Pronghorn. I have had no un-due meat loss, but I never hit "meaty" areas. All pass through shots.

ron

150gr nosler will pile 'em up like old laundry. Your 180+ class deer you might track a few yards. I've killed only one out of state buck and that was in Alabama and i used my dad's Rem 700 in .270win with Federal 150gr Nosler Partition. He went maybe 5 feet. That deer was 160lbs dressed. It was a 70yd shot. I know there are some "big boys" in Kentucky, but you should have no problems IMO. Here in Michigan, i use 30.06 150gr ballistic silvertip handloads...they drop most of the time...or never go very far. :p

good luck!

Deer are thin skinned animals that really don't require a lot of bullet to bring'm down with a decent shot. Many have been killed with a good 100 gr. softpoint to the boiler room.

Back