bullet noise vs grain size for HD

IronBalls

im loading up on HD ammo, and decided on federal hydrashock b/c of low flash signature and stopping power. But in choosing, what would be better the larger grain bullets or smaller. For example, .45 ammo comes in 230 and 185 grain.... And the .40 S&W comes in 155,165, and 180 grain.

So for a HD ear popping noise consideration, is the larger slower bullet quieter, or the faster smaller one. Also, is there much of a difference in stopping power, or is delivered stopping power fairly equivolent.

Thanks yall.

IronBalls,

What is "HD" ammo?

Regarding noise, if you are shooting with a suppressor it is much quieter if the bullet is below 1000 fps (e.g. 230 gr 45 ACP is ideal). Shooting unsuppressed, everything you
listed is ear shattering indoors.

Regarding 45 ACP ammo, you can get greater power and better potential expansion from 185 gr HP bullets. 230 gr bullets tend to be less powerful and the low velocity tends to give minimal expansion. 230 gr 45 ACP bullets are very risky to use for self defense because they will penetrate your target, the wall, an innocent bystander, another wall, etc! This is a good quality on a battlefield but not optimum where innocents might be downrange.

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

What caliber?

In 45ACP I use my 230g Golden Saber load, at 780fps from my 1911.
Less 'concussive' than most other calibers.....

Ive got a Kimber .45, and a G23 in .40 and im just trying to pick the best home def. combo. I somewhat prefer the G23 as it has teh m3 light, and guide rod laser, and tritiums,...but sound levels considered, i guess the .45 with a bigger grain hydrashok would be best (low flash, less ear shattering). If that logic sounds right to you guys, ill go for it.

IronBalls,

Weshoot2 makes a good point. A low velocity 230 gr bullet is likely to have much less muzzle blast, if the right powder is chosen, than a high power round. However, inside the house, most firearms will be ear shattering.

Good luck!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

Back