bullet nicks and firearm damage

BJung

I have nicks on bullets I salvaged by pulling them with a tool that has teeth that bite into the bullet as I lift up on my press handle. I plan to reload them tomorrow and wonder if the nicks will damage the chamber or get stuck. Maybe I should file them smooth. I don't expect the best groups with them as they have are salvaged.

What do you think?

Thanks

I doubt the bullet cladding is hard enough to damage a steel chamber or barrel but I would give the burrs a lick with a file anyway, just to satisfy my inner OC nature.

From past experience you may have trouble getting a solid crimp on a bullet that has already been crimped. I would try one round and see if the crimp is good

I have nicks on bullets I salvaged by pulling them with a tool that has teeth that bite into the bullet as I lift up on my press handle. I plan to reload them tomorrow and wonder if the nicks will damage the chamber or get stuck. Maybe I should file them smooth. I don't expect the best groups with them as they have are salvaged.

What do you think?

Thanks
I've loaded a bunch of salvaged SS-109 bullets. Pretty beat up and nicked. They all shot <2 MOA @ 100 yds. So they are great for plinking! No filing, just load 'em.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

With regards to accuracy, I saw a Youtube video where a guy deliberately deformed rifle bullets to see what effects it had on accuracy. He bent some tips way over, marred up the ogives, etc. All had little to no effect on 100yd accuracy until he started monkeying with the base. Deformed bases did have a noticeable effect on accuracy.

Back