Bullet for Boar?

JCAM

Inactive
I'm planning my first wild boar hunt in California , using a No. 4 Lee Enfield chambered in .303 British. I'd like your advice on bullet choice. Remington offers a 180 grain soft point, but after all the advice I hear about penetration on hogs, I'm wondering if the military 175 grain FMJ might be a better bet for penetration? Both of those bullets should be leaving the muzzle at around 2440 fps. I appreciate any advice on the matter. I do not reload.
Thanks.

Are FMJ rounds legal to hunt with in your locality? Most states do not allow hunting with FMJ rounds due to the lack of expansion and lessened ability for a clean kill.

Id go with a good high quality bullet, in most states you can not hunt with a FMJ. Id go with a Nosler Partition/Speer Grandslam/Hornady Interlock or interbond/BarnsX all these bullets are known good game getters, tend to stay together in most cases. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

I have a friend that only hunts with a .303 and he never had any penetration problems with Remington bullets. The 180 grainers should work fine.

I do not think you have be concerned too much about the .303 and penitration and stick with a soft tip.
Also if you've never hunted hogs before remember that the vitals are located a bit lower then they are on a deer.
In a perfect world every shot I made on a pig would be a quartering away shot so the round passes behind and under the front shoulder traveling forward through the vitals.

Back