bullet and twist rate

jim t

Inactive
What is the best bullet for a 1 in 9 twist with a 20 in. barrel? Oh yeah it's a 7mm08. This is for deer hunting. I was thinking about trying some 120 gr.

I use Barnes 120 and 140 TTSX. Can't recall the load off the top of my head but it's right at 3000 fps. Devastating on deer and coyotes.

I've got a 23" 1:9 7-08 Bartlein barrel. It shoots the 139gr Interlock factory load very well. It does exceptional ( 5 shot .562" group) w/ 140gr NBT's and Accubonds pushed with a stiff load of Varget.

1:9 twist is fast enough to stabilize pretty much any bullet up to 160gr, and more squat bullets like the partition up to 175gr.

So use whatever you like basically.

Bullet and twist rate

Thanks for the replies. This rifle is a CVA Hunter single shot. All I have shot out of it is Hornady American Whitetail I sighted it in an inch high at 25 yards
with a Tasco 3x9x40. Got 2 deer this last season 1 at 30 yrds and 1 at a ranged 192yrds both dropped in their tracks.

Nosler 140 BT's shoot well enough for me that I haven't even looked at anything else. WBY Vanguard carbine w/20" barrel. Factory alternative is Hornady American Whitetail 139 SP.

Back