Bulgie field report

tatters

Not a range report as I wasn't at the range. I was, in fact, checking some fields for varmint holes. It has been kinda warm a few days, and I wanted to scout.

So, I took the new Bulgarian Mak out with me, and got to shoot 20 rounds of Barnaul hollowpoints. As far as I can tell, it shoots to point of aim, and in that short 20 rounds, I can see we will be great friends. No failures or reason to believe reliabilty will be less than desirable. The Bulgie barks a bit, but I was wearing ear plugs, so no damage to the ears. Feels snappy and pretty decisive when it fires, and has a good feel. Need to get some aftermarket grips as I found the recoil to be enough to warrant a secure grip and a little cushion. Mine came with the thumbrest grips, and I think I can do better in that department. Has a few sharp edges, and still may have to do something with the position of my middle finger on the trigger guard as I wrap my hand.

The double action trigger is rough, and I hope to get used to shooting in both modes da/sa. I am used to the KelTec pistols, so the da didn't seem a big deal.

So, that is my short report on this seemingly great value so far. I will know more as we get more familiar.
BTW, I found my P-11 iwb holster not too far off of fit for the Bulgie. Not made for it, but not too bad either.

Thats the best kind of report, a field report!

I hate disciplined shooting at bullseye targets. I like nothing better than shooting (responsibly of course) at targets of opportunity.

Glad to hear that your new Mak is working well. I've never tried the 9x18 version, but I have the .380 version, which was a lot of fun. I'm trying to scrape up the money to get one for myself while the prices are so good!

Good Shooting
RED

Expect the trigger to smooth out as it breaks in, especially the SA pull. I highly recommend you put Pierce rubber grips on the gun, makes the gun much more enjoyable to shot. The Maks are snappy due to the fact that they are blowback and not a locked breech. Best value in handguns today.

I'm excited. I'll be picking up a Bulgie Mak from a fellow TFLer next week. And I've already shot it and I know it shoots to point of aim, and is a real milk jug killer.

About that DA Trigger pull...

...the best way to smooth it out is to shoot....shoot...shoot...shoot..... ;)

With my Bulgarian, I try to trade off with each mag load. First mag SA, second mag DA, etc. Both will smooth out with use.

Back