Bulgerian MAK

Denfoote,Hey man I`m from Dover,New Phila also,please e-mail me,I seen your pic in Glocktalk,and you do look familiar,Mvdemarco,sorry to use your forum to try to contact another person,i agree with evryone else,buy the oringinal mags,they do look kinda cheap don`t they though?Thanks guys.

Makarov.com has used Russian mags for $6 each. If you order 3-9, they're $5 each. They're $4 each for 10 or more. They also carry used East German mags for $.50 less. I ordered 3 of the Russians, which should arrive today. If so, I'll post what kind of shape they're in. BTW, these prices include shipping. I have been extremely pleased with all of my Makarov.com orders.

I'll also vote for Dr. Karl at makarov.com as a source for magazines - and while you're at it, pick up one of his magazine loader gizmos for 4 bucks or so. Trust me on this, it's really a great help when you're loading your magazines. No more sliced thumbs, no more blood on your piece, etc.

Which reminds me, I just got back from the range this noon with my Bulgarian Mak. I did a quick count from memory and I think I now have 600 rounds through it and I have yet to have any problem whatsoever. 100% reliable with 4 different kinds of ammo. Of late, I'm running the green-box ammo from Novosibirsk - purchased from Dan's via makarov.com - 100 bucks for 1,000 rounds shipping included. Dan, like Karl, is a good guy to deal with.

good luck with your Mak.

Owen

Oh, and off topic, they had a .38 SPL Charter Arms revolver on display at the range. The cylinder had fractured into 4 pieces and the brass from the round that did it was swaged into the steel. I can only imagine what handload did this. The frame, interestingly enough, looked pretty good. No info as to whether or not the person shooting was hurt but I can only imagine that it was not very pleasant.

Yep, Dan's & Karl's are a "must stop" for any one who owns a Mak. As far as the mag loader is concerned, it's great to have but if you leave it at home, I've found the mags easier to load if you grab the loaded rounds (after you have a couple in the mag) through the slots in each side of the mag with your thumb and forefinger and pull down as you feed the next round from the top. Beats the heck out of breaking your thumb nail. regards, birdman

King of Tyre:

I'm not sure who has Maks at this time, but you can find out pretty quickly on http://www.makarov.com

You can also pick up a Shotgun News or Gun List magazine to find out who still has them. I do think some of the supply might be drying up, because I know that J&G Sales, AIM Surplus, and SOG are all out.

Also, check out this message board for buying, selling, and trading Maks and CZs. These are usually individuals that are selling, but occasionally, someone posts where a good deal can be found.

http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=info

I have a Bulgarian I got a while back from AIM Surplus. It looks like a brand new pistol. I haven't fired it a lot yet, but so far it's been completely reliable and fun to shoot. Good luck.

I've used the 9mm stuff. It's not bad. It smells bad, but it's decent stuff. The 9x18mm Wolf ammo is the round that the Makarov was designed for, made by the fine people who made the pistol. It should work just fine!!!:)

Killit, You got mail!!!;)

King of Tyre:

I happened to have the latest edition of Gun List at the office, so here's what I found.

Wholesale Guns and Ammo is offering Bulgarian Maks for $109 ($119 for hand-picked). S&H is $16. Go to http://www.gunsnammo.com

Jersey City Armory is offering what they are calling unissued military Bulgarian Maks for $139. Go to http://store.jcarmory.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=163&lastcatid=141&step=4

Pheonix Distributors is offering Bulgarian Maks for $129. Phone number is 215/953-1492. They are located in PA.

Hope you find one.

If any of you get the Blue Press from Dillon Precision, there is an article this month on the wolf 9x18 ammo. He likes it :) He also likes the 9x19 by wolf. I get great results with it myself.

Thanks for all the replies people, I feel like I'm gonna like my new MAK once I receive it! I ordered from Jersey City Armory yesterday (Wednesday). Greg Montee said that it should be here at my gun dealer by Saturday. That means that I'll be at the range Saturday night! I'll post an after action report immediately. LOL

Mike

Wolf is good ammo - seems to be on the 'hot' side, much like the Blazer 9x18. My Mak loves it. Then again, my Mak loves everything I feed it...Chinese, two kinds of Russian, Blazer, Sellier & Bellot, whatever.

Owen

http://www.makarov.com is definately the place to get your makarov accessories. Dr. Karl has the best service of anyone that I have ever dealt with. I've ordered accessories and would get them 2 days later. Now that is service. Plus, Dr. Karl's return policy is top notch. If you don't like it, send it back. No Time Limit. After dealing with once, you'll know why everyone sings the grace of Dr. Karl.

Back