Bulge in Barrel

montana09

I just bought a used Single Six that was pretty dirty. I disassembled it and cleaned it and while doing this I noticed a strange ring in the center of the barrel that won't scrub out. I ran my hand over the outside and there is a very tiny barely discernible bulge in the barrel (took 5 mins and have to hold it just right to even notice it while running your hand very very very slow over it). I have shot the gun and it shoots just as good as my other Single Six, minute of pop can out to 25 yards or so, is there something I should worry about or just keep it and shoot it?

Eh. Wander around Ebay for a spare barrel if it bugs you. In the meantime, it should cause no issues.

Thanks guys! I wouldn't have even noticed was there until I disassembled it to clean it with a flashlight down the barrel

Means somebody shot out a squib load at some point. How that'd happen with a .22 is debateable, of course. However, the barrel has been weaken at that point. There is a potential of the barrel bursting at that point. Highly unlikely if it's a .22.
I believe Ruger will fix it without much fuss.

I have read of others who got good accuracy from bulged barrels. It seems as log as the crown is, a bulge doesn't really hurt.

I had an old remington bolt action 22 with a bulge in the barrel from shooting those Colibri rounds. When they say don't shoot those loads from a rifle barrel they ain't kidding.

But the gun still shot as well as ever. I saw a young guy shoot this rifle at well over a hundred yards with open sights and put 3 rounds in the bull with a 1.5" group. So just shoot your pistol.

My rules:
Ring(s) in rimfire barrel(s) = Choot 'em!
Ring(s) in centerfire barrel(s) = Depends on chamber pressure and the cartridge in question.
Asymmetrical / non-concentric bulge(s) in anything = Scrap! (Or Chop!)

Thanks guys, it's just a plinking pistol for the gf. She really likes my stainless Single Six so she wanted one of her own so bad I barely get mine away from her. Thought I was getting a steal at $200, guess I should have cleaned it first! Still shoots great haha and all it'll be run with is the Federal blue box 40 grain solids so no worries.

It's okay but get it fixrd !!!

I have read of others who got good accuracy from bulged barrels. It seems as log as the crown is, a bulge doesn't really hurt.

As others have replied, there should be no shooting nor accuracy problems. The problem is that you did not catch it and will not go away. Don't get me wrong, I have been bit by the barrel ring on two occasion and it won't happen again. :rolleyes:

It's like having the most beautiful/sexy, girlfriend in the world with a small wart on the end of her nose. She's a knockout but that darn wart is still there. ….. :rolleyes:

I can see the rings by looking down the outside of a barrel toward a light. That dark spot you see, in the bore, is where gasses, powder and lead have left their deposits and the bullet continued down the barrel. …. :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Back