Bulgarian Makarov vs Yugo SKS...

Rich_357

Alright, this is me. I like old, historical poop that doesn’t lose it’s value…..especially WWII and cold war relics. If you had to choose between a Bulgarian Makarov and a Yugo SKS (roughly $100 more) what would you do? Both are military surplus and in excellent condition.

I don’t need either but you know how that goes…..:rolleyes:

Hard choice, if you can't have both . Both will hold their value and historical significance. Both are built like tanks.(I should say, overbuilt) Both are fun to shoot! I have both. which I bought cheap. I'm amazed at what they're now going for now! Hard choice indeed, but you really can't go wrong. The only way I could prioritize is by which can be picked up reasonably and at what rate they are appreciating. That being said, the Bulgarian Maks just came in and are still reasonably priced. That's not going to last:)

Last edited:
I would agree with rightside. The Bulgarian Makarovs will start drying up in the not-too-distant future. Get that first, then save up for the Yugo SKS. SKSs have lost a little of their popularity in that they are overshadowed by AK types, but I always felt the SKS was a superior weapon in many respects.

I thnk both the Yugo SKS and the Bulgarian Mak will start drying up soon. I had trouble finding a Yugo SKS up until about six months ago, the same thing with the Bulg Mak. Frankly, I think the Bulg Mak will disappear first, so I would get that first.

Thanks for the responses. I was originally browsing at Tokarevs but they seem to be plentiful and I hate the fact that they were forced to add the manual safety to it. I migrated over to the Makarov for a little bit more. The Yugo is a little out of my price range right now but I'll add it to the list to save up for; I'd love to have one some day.

Current Bulgarian Maks are a real buy as the pistols are in such great shape and just aching to have a few hundred rounds shot through them. You made a good choice and should have many years of fun shooting 9x18 hunks of lead.

I do want you guys to realize that this is totally your fault. I take no responsibility for it but I do intend on enjoying them! :D

IMG_20160424_012548_zpso11lcxpz.jpg

Last edited:
^^^^ That is so true. I'm done for the year. :rolleyes: My FFL has a beautiful Russian SKS sitting in the shop; I absolutely love the stocks on the Russians. My wallet weeps a little bit every time I pick it up. :P

The Yugo is a 1971 with matching numbers. The Makarov is a 1988; both came out of Slovenia.

Ok Rich, now that you have the basics a few thousand rounds of ammo are in order.....then perhaps a P 83 and a P 64(ouch on each shot) you are lucky the Tokorev, CZ 82, PA 63, etc etc are all sold out.....but a search of GB might find a few of each....then more ammo and on and on and on........:)

Back