Bulgarian Makarov Experiences?

Fit is pretty good, early Bulgarians are very well finished, and, of course, share the legendary reliability of all Makarovs.

do you mean the pa-63

if you are refering to the pa-63 I have 2 of them, his and hers, and love them both. they are dependable and good for CCW. I do however recomend the spring kits that lower double action pull to 9lb instead of the 18lb factory.. makes shooting a whole lot nicer.

I bought mine out of curiousity a fair number of years back, mostly because it was very attractively priced (NIB with military/police-type flap holster and cleaning rod, English language manual and two magazines electropencil-numbered to the gun for $175) and I had the cash to spare.

It's turned out to have been an exceptional bargain, IMO: A simple and proven-durable design, relatively compact, all steel construction, nicely fitted, decently finished with a hard chromium-plated bore and chamber. It functions about as reliably as gravity with both ball and JHP ammo and capable of most exceptional accuracy (despite its tiny, shiney fixed sights) with the loads it likes when I do my part correctly.

One can spend more and get a good deal less in a budget-priced HD/SD handgun, IMHO. I'm keeping mine.

Oh that's right sorry about that.....I new they were one of the garian types :D very similar though in may respects.... The caliber is nice for a CCW and Home D since it is power enough to stop but not so much that it will keep going into your neighbors house and the next.:rolleyes:

I know they are not C&R eligible but I figured this subforum would have the best insight into Makarov pistols since it is an older design.

Anyway I ordered one today.

Cheap, reliable, all steel. Expensive magazines that are hard to find. Piece of history, and damn pretty in my opinion. Probably going to be the gun I get buried with.

One thing: confirm that your range of choice allows the cheep Russian surplus ammo. If they've got a steel core, most indoor ranges don't allow them. I did not know this and now have quite a bit of brown bear ammo awaiting the unthawing of the outdoor range.

I love my Bulgie Mak.
That said, remember that it is a military rifle built to "field tolerances."
I notice that when I use the decock feature, the decock engages before the safety lever actually lodges into the "safe" detente. A DA trigger pull is still possible. Just don't be lulled to sleep; make sure the safety lever is elevated all the way to "safe" when you decock. No accident stories to tell, just sayin...

Apparently fields are larger in Russia? :)

Cheap, reliable, all steel. Expensive magazines that are hard to find. Piece of history, and damn pretty in my opinion. Probably going to be the gun I get buried with

Expensive magazines?? Not particularly.

I'd rate them right behind the E.German mak.Bought a used ex-issue Bulg and a new commercial one probably ten years ago.Never had any ftf,fte problems with steel or brass.I bought maybe 15 magazines for $4 apiece so mags are very common.Accuracy is comparable to all the rest of them and you can find both fmj and hollowpoint rounds depending on your needs.I carried one for ccw until i got on the cz82 bandwagon which is another great 9mm mak for the money.

Back