Bulgarian Makarav Markings

mhbell

Inactive
I have a bulgarian Makarav that I purchased several years ago around 2008 I believe. The markings on the side of the weapon are as follows:
Bulgaria 9MM
Georgia VT
AN5646 1976

It came with a military Holster and 2 clips and 3 boxes of Russian 9x18 ammo The box that it came in had a label that said "Centry International Arms" I would like to know more about it. There were a couple of other markings but not readable.
TIA
Mel

The top two lines are importer information. The third line looks like a serial number applied by the importer. The original serial number should be on the left side of the pistol below the safety/decocker lever.

Welcome to the forum.

Century International Arms is a manufacturer of firearms and also importer of firearms from foreign governments typically from countries formerly from the Eastern Bloc such as Bulgaria. As foreign police and military units upgrade their small arms they must do something with their older, no longer needed firearms. CIA purchases these now surplus firearms and resells them in the states. The manufacturing and warehousing hub of CIA is located in Georgia, Vermont.

I have a bulgarian Makarav that I purchased several years ago around 2008 I believe. The markings on the side of the weapon are as follows:
Bulgaria 9MM
Georgia VT
AN5646 1976

It came with a military Holster and 2 clips and 3 boxes of Russian 9x18 ammo The box that it came in had a label that said "Centry International Arms" I would like to know more about it. There were a couple of other markings but not readable.
TIA
Mel
The "un-readable" markings are proof marks. The Bulgarian Makarov had a serial number stamped on the left side of the slide and on the frame above the grips, they should match. A Cyryllic prefix that may look like regular Greek letters as I have a Bulgarian with an "AE" prefix. The number 10 in a double circle is the arsenal that it came from hence the"circle 10" (Arsenal) identity. This should be stamped to the left of the serial #.

The Century Importers stamp usually on the left side of the frame but this can vary and the quality of their stampings can be quite crappy.

On the right frame 9MM MAKAROV and BULGARIA is most common.

There are other importers besides Century and markings, numbers, etc. can vary, even with pistols from the same importer.

The last Bulgarian I acquired came in a flat unmarked, waxed box. The pistol itself was inundated with cosmoline but cleaned up brand new. With two matching serial# magazines (not clips :) ) full flap military holster, steel cleaning rod/extractor tool, a leather lanyard and an extra thumb rest grip. All for less than $150. Earlier on, I got one even cheaper. Oh, for the good old days!

You have an excellent and underrated weapon.

Back