Buiuld Rem 700 Titanium in .308?

Gromit

Build Rem 700 Titanium in .308?

I am interested in Remington's new 700 Titanium but it is only offered in 4 calibers: 260 Rem, 270 Win, 7mm-08 Rem & 30.06. I would like to buy one if I can rebarrel it to a 308.

My questions are:

If the 7mm-08 Rem cartridge is a necked down .308, can I use the original bolt? (Is the bolt face of the 7mm & 308 identical?) I want to use the original bolt as it is made out of Titanium.

Is the 7mm-08 Rem action a "short action"?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Thanks BBBBill! Yeah, I was a liitle surprised it wasn't offered in 308 as well, but then again they discontinued the 308 VS-SF! -probably "Corporate" thinking :)

looking back...

the .260 and 7mm-08 are both built on the 700 shot action. b4 you tear apart a perfectly good rifle :confused:, consider the following:

1) the .260 is a modern incarnation, for short actions, of the 6.5x55mm swede, a round they have used for years to take everything up to moose; the nordic 30/06 :rolleyes:

2) the 7mm-08 is the same for the 7mm mauser,which has been used to harvest elephants in "old africa" :eek: (they called it the .276 rigby)

both rounds have excellent long range accurracy (the 6.5 is the competition cartridge of choice in sweden, norway...) and have an extensive battle (Boer war,WW1 & WW2)and hunting history. both rounds have a reputation for mild recoil and use less powder to reload, i graduated to centerfires with the 7mm.

the only advantage that i can see is the availability of surplus 7.62x51mm which, i wouldn't shoot in a custom rifle anyway ;)...now, a fn fal battle rifle is another matter :D

Actually, I am contemplating this because I am looking for a suitable reciever to complement a .30 cal carbon fiber barrel I have laying around. Plus, I have about 3,000 rounds of Fed 168 BTHP with no decent 308 rifle to shoot it with since I sold my Stoner SR-25.

Magnum Research (the Desert Eagle guys) made the barrel. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised when I found out about it!

The rifle (w/o optics) should weigh roughly 4.5 to 6 lbs. (depending on the stock I use- Rem factory composite, H-S Pecision Tactical or Accuracy International AICS).

Back