Building HK91

creynol3

Inactive
I've given up earching. Almost anyway. From reading ither threads I gather that to build a good HK91, and not have to pay the 2-3k$ price of an old imported used one, you need the parts kit from InterOrdnance and a Receiver by FMP. I can find the parts kit easily enough, from the website, for 300$, but where the hell can i get an FMP receiver????

One last question. The parts kits I saw listed had a few variations. I still cannot build one that has a folding stock right? Has to be plain jane?

Don't worry. I probably won't even try building it myself. I'm just kinda curious to see all the parts layed out before hand. I'll end up taking it to a smith I'm sure.

Please feel free to add any comments or suggestions. Thanks all.
:)

Beware the InterOrdnance kit. One of our members bought one and the barrel was shot to pieces.

Pick up a copy of Shotgun News. The FMP receivers may still be advertised there.

That was my parts kit from IO. It took them 6 months to send me a rusty, shot out barrel when I ordered and paid for a kit that was described as "like new". Then, it was like dealing with a beligerant 6 year old to get them to send a better kit. If you notice IO's lattest ads in the Shotgun News, they use "Best Quality" instead of "like new" (I complained to SGN and probably not the only one). Here's the bore image:

Thumbnail

I bought my FMP receiver from IO for $450. Surprisingly, it only took them 2 months to get it to me. The FMP receiver is everything it's cracked up to be...perfect. I would suggest dealing with them for the receiver, because their version has the barrel trunion and cocking tube attached at the factory. Don't bother with the A4 recractable stock, you can't use it on a post 94 rifle anyway.

For everything else, I'd deal with Federal Arms. They grade their kits honestly and won't send you crap when you ordered new. They are also supposed to get some brand new G3 barrels in very soon (from Turkey, I think)for $100. Federal also offers the US parts kit. Federal kits run from $150 to $200.

I'm having Mike Prewitt at Machine Services Center put the thing together (actually, rebuild, but that's another story) for me. He'll do all the barreling/headspacing, convert the trigger to semi-only, attach the muzzle device of your choice, install the US parts (included in assembly price when I first contacted him), and refinish for around $250 or so. If you deal with IO for the receiver, you can pay for it and have it sent directly to him.

Pardon my ignorance everyone. Got a couple of questions if the above is standard. I thought the parts kit came with a barrel? The kits are generally advertised as needing only a receiver to complete. ???

Other question. what's with this trigger group thing? Could use a more in depth answer on that one. Is this the interior parts for the trigger and the safety? Do I need to do this to make it legal or ????

Oh. Does Federal Arms have a web site? Cannot seem to find one.

[This message has been edited by creynol3 (edited June 03, 2000).]

I'm not saying someone never got a crappy parts kit from InterOrdnance, but I got a brand new cut up FMP rifle from them last year at Knob Creek. At that time they were absolutly the best there. In fact all the parts kits I saw this spring were very nice, compared to Sarco's or some of the others.

The Special Weapons website was advertising the FMP recievers for $500 a while back, IIRC.

You can assemble a HK style rifle using just the kit and a new receiver. It will be illegal, violating Sec 922r, and you may not like what you have from a performance and aesthetic standpoint. Some of the kits arrive with really bad bores, like the above.

I opted for the new barrel because I didn't want to finally get hold of the thing, only to wish I'd spent the extra $100 on a brand new barrel.

I don't think Federal Arms has a web site as yet. You should be able to find their ad in The Shotgun News, or maybe even at: www.shotgunnews.com .

[This message has been edited by Destructo6 (edited June 03, 2000).]

WO WO WO WO WO

Illegal? I thought that the receiver would have to go through an FFL and then e erything is fine so long as I don't violate teh assault gun ban with a flash hider, bayonet lug, etc.

WTF

They don't have a lug to worry about ;)
To be sec. 922r compliant you have to change out the hider for an approved brake, plus some trigger group parts, & mag parts.
Use Thermold mags and that cuts out the mag parts BS.

I'm not a total moron. The postings here not withstanding.

OK. I was under the impression I could purchase a US parts kit and have the rifle built. Is the flash hider just an attachement to the barrel? I would assume it would simply not be installed. Grr. Tempted to just get the federal arms model.

Don't suppose someone can give me a complete list of what i need here? I do want a new barrel. An FMP Receiver. And a black finish like the original. The receiver I can try IO for. Failing that, Special Weapons. same for the Barrel if I can find a new one. After that, if I get all us parts outside of the mags, does that work? Maybe have to get that receiver from federal. Check the SW website and it says they no longer import the FMP receiver and that it didn't hae the tube or lever installed. Just like the man above said.

Just a side note: I have 5 mags that cost me 15 each. 30rnd. I think they are conversions from FAL mags. Is this s problem? Grrr. Damned ATF.

[This message has been edited by creynol3 (edited June 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by creynol3 (edited June 04, 2000).]

Since the G3 barrel has a threaded muzzle, you'd either have to get the barrel turned down to remove the threads or have an "ATF approved" muzzle attachment permenantly installed.

The parts kit + US parts kit + receiver should be fine. The parts usually replaced are the hammer, sear, cocking handle (ATF calls this an "op rod"?!?!), pistol grip, and floorplate. SW is supposed to offer some additional US parts such as a plastic gripframe that is not only US-made, but makes 2 parts, one (p-grip and gripframe).

Never heard of FAL mags being converted to be used as G3 mags. M14 mags yes, but not FAL. What do they look like?

I was told they are FAL mags. They are steel, ribbed, black( as if that makes a real difference) and have a frame of some kind (seemingly glued) around the top of the magazine.

So no one makes a barrel for this that doesn't have a threaded muzzle? Damn. That just strikes me as strange. I understand that welding a muzzle brake on counts though. I just got an email back from Special Weapons that says they can get me the FMP receiver for 425. Of course that doesn't have the tube and lever installed though. I guess I could get a smith to just weld on the muzzle brake. While we are on the subject, does anyone have a number for federal arms? I could not find one in Shotgun News online.

OK
Get the FMP receiver.
Get the barrel and have a muzzle brake welded on.
Get a US parts kit. Maybe have to get a trigger group from the US. OR, if SW makes them, get a pistol grip and forearm grip from them and I can skip the trigger group and floorplate. Would be real nice to be able to buy whatever mags I want for it.

Well I damned well cannot find a number for Federal or any mention by SW at their website about a pistol grip or gripframe for the HK91. They don't even list parts at all.

Screw it all. Maybe I should just wait for a couple of months and buy a pre-ban one for 2k. This is getting ridiculous.

AHA
Found US made HK91
30rnd mags - 3 for 44.95
20rnd mags - 2 for 29.95

Tis is worse than making a computer. That's something I have done several times and it sucked. Though I'm still dumb enough to do it.

Other than Thermolds, those US made mags are terrible. It would be far better to get a US stock set, maybe wood by Ironwood Designs, and use imported mags.

Got this from www.hk91.com 's yellow pages:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Federal Arms
7928 University Avenue
Fridley, Minnesota 55432 USA
Phone 612-780-8780
Site Rep: Federal Arms
Maker of FA91 rifle[/quote]

For some reason I simply get a little ore confused each time I turn around.

Receiver: From Federal or Special.
US Stock Set:?
US Parts Kit: Federal Arms
Barrel: New preferable.

Then I can use whatever clips I wish. Course if I do this I have to face getting a claw mount for a scope. Only price I have seen on those is over 400$. Ah Screw it. I'll get a receiver for now from FMP and just get a Federal Arms model. I can have it made when I have the time and money.

Back