Building Glock Race Gun. Need Your input.

MontyCop05

Not new to the forum, just to the Corral. Some of you may recognize my handle. I mostly prowl Hogans Ally. I'm building a race gun with the intention of shooting IPSC. It WILL be a glock. My question is which? I have a G22 and was going to put on a mag well, comp & barrel combo, 3.5 connector, extended mag release, and an aluminum scope mount with either a Doctor or C-More. Should I go with a 17 or 34/35 instead? I can trade that G22 in at my dealer towards one of the aforementioned. Let me give you a quick background on my thinking. I shoot .40 most of the time. I carry a G23 as a LEO, and 99% of the time a G27 off duty. I practice, and am extremely proficient with both. The G22 is new and I haven't shot it but once. However its no different in my hands than my 23. The only reason I'm thinking of switching to a 9mm is less recoil. As we all know the .40 is snappy. With a 9 I'm thinking rapid fire follow up would be better. So you guys that have been there, tell me what's up. Also if any of you have purpose built glock race guns please post pics. I'd like to see what others are running with.

Last edited:
The only reason I'm thinking of switching to a 9mm is less recoil.

A compensated optically sighted gun enters Open Division in IPSC or USPSA.
To be fully competitive, its ammunition must make Major Power Factor. This means there is no advantage to 9mm because it has to be loaded +P or +P+ to keep up with the .40s and .38 Supers. I have no recent experience with 9mm Major. Look around at
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
for discussions and load data.

If you're going to port it and put an optic on it, you'll definitely be in Open division. There's a member here by the handle of "yar" who runs a ported G17 in IPSC using 9mm Major loads, which are a pretty hot 9mm loading. Because loading the 9mm that hot makes me a wee bit nervous, I'd personally stick with the .40 - factory ammo can make major PF in USPSA, so you don't have to worry about an overpressured round blowing your gun up in your face.

Disadvantage to 40 open---mag capacity. You will get 23-24 in a 170mm
magazine. 9mm will get 28-30 in the same length mag.

Advantage to 40 open---factory ammo, while not optimal, will make major.

Google SJC. John Nagel's guns are probably the most popular at this time.
They have an "Open stealth" package built on a 40, as well as 9mm minor
and major guns. The slip on shroud/comp/sight mount is worth a look.

I made B class is USPSA Open running a G35 with a ported barrel and
Carver mount, with an old tube sight.

Currently running 9 Major guns built on G17's. 9 Major is out there on the
edge---I'm pushing a 124 gr bullet at close to 1400 fps.

Back