Building an AR15 for competition

SMS

Inactive
Hi Guys, first post here. I used to shoot .22 competition when I was in high school, and would like to get into shooting High Power service rifle competitions here in Michigan. I tried to find a RRA NM A2, but no luck, and I really don't want to wait 9 months or longer for one.

I figured I would try to put a match rifle together. Is it important what lower receiver is used? I see RRA does make a match lower/upper kit, but their stuff is so hard to get right now,and I dont know if the lower even makes a difference.

I thought just buying any lower, a 2 stage trigger, and maybe an upper from White Oak, might be easier. I guess my main question is;Is it important what lower receiver is used to build a match rifle? Thanks.

Steve

In high power, the upper is much more important then the lower. Thats assuming you add a dicient trigger.

I've been shooting high power for 30 years when I desided to relent, and move into the AR rifles and from the Super Match M1A.

I did quite a bit of research trying to find the best upper. I found that White Oak was the top of the line. I went that route and put the White Oak Service Rifle upper on my Colt lower (and added a trigger).

The White Oak exceeded my expitations. The service is excellant also.

I would suggest talking to all the high power shooters you can to determind which one they use.

Thanks Kraig. At this point, I don't know any high power shooters. All of my ideas were derived from searching the net. That's how I found this site!:)

Steve

Big Dawgs

If you want to hear what the world champions do or even talk with them, go to www.nationalmatch.us that is where thay all hang out.

kraigwy answered your question. any lower with a 2 stage trigger and a good upper (White Oak, Compass Lake, Acuracy Speaks, Rock River). I have heard good things about Bushmaster's DMC but, I also have heard they have bad triggers.

I just started in the sport a few years ago and I have a stock Rock River NM A2 that can out shoot me. The big boys seem to be using RRA lowers, Greisley triggers (spelling) and White Oak uppers.

Have fun,
Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim. I purchased a RRA A2 complete lower receiver today at Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka. They had 2 in stock. I didn't realize that I couldn't take it with me back to MI, and actually had to have it shipped to a gun shop.
I stopped on the way home at the place it was being shipped to, and they told me I needed a purchase permit since it theoretically could be assembled as a pistol. Kind of sucks, but since I don't plan on selling it, I guess it's OK. No choice really.

Steve

The nice thing about the AR is that you don't need a master craftsman to get it to shoot well enough to be competitive at the highest levels. If you get a 1:7" match barrel, float tube, and a set of sights with 1/2 or 1/4 MOA adjustments, and a decent trigger, you're set.

I've got a Colt HBAR that I floated and put sights on. It shoots better than I can (as did the Compass lake and RRA uppers I've shot).

Just got off the phone with WOA, and ordered a complete upper, pinned rear sight, 1/4x1/4 rear sight, .062 front sight post. I should see it in September.:(

Jeez, I didn't even know that .223 is over a buck a round now. Shows how long it has been since I did much shooting.

Looks like your all set. I have two WOP uppers, I am very happy with them and the company (John and Paul). They answer the phone themselves, its nice to talk to a real person when you have a question or making an order.

I'm from Michigan also, if I can help you get started or get in touch with someone in your area, I would be more than happy to. Ken

Back