Building an AR 15

sam

Inactive
I am thinking of building an AR15. All the parts seem easy to get and not too expensive. But...do you need a torgue wrench to do it properly? Anybody know?

The trick is the headspacing, my decision has always been to get this done by a "professional" I have done everything else my self. I am kicking myself for not buying a complete Pre ban Bushmaster lower I saw at the Gun show today.. anyone know the going price?

Sam,
You DO need a torque wrench to properly install the barrel. If you don't get the barrel torqued right it can cause the groups to be farther to the right or left then you have windage adjustment on your rear sight.

To install the barrel, assemble the barrel nut, slip ring, spring and retaining nut. Clean the threads and apply molybdenum disulfide grease to the threads of the barrel nut. Make sure the alignment pin on top of the barrel isn't loose. Clamp the barrel in a vise (using the aluminum vise blocks for a secure fit). Position the alignment pin in the slot in the upper receiver, there should be almost no play. Clean the threads on the upper receiver and coat with the same moly grease used on the barrel nut. Tighten the barrel nut and torque to 30 ft-lb, break it loose and repeat, do this until you have torqued the nut 3 times. If you have to move the barrel nut to install the gas tube always tighten it. Don't tighten over 80 ft-lb to line up the gas tube.
Jeff

Rob, check out www.bushmaster.com
for the latest info.
They even have a slick 37MM grenade/flare launcher... M203 almost.
And you can get 37MM OC SPRAY grenades. Fun at parties...
Bushmaster is the only way to go...
And I still have the standing offer - Bushmaster AR-15 for trade for the M-17...

What's the lowest price(about) that you can build a AR for? From what I can gather it's about $500++.

Back