Building A Shooting Range With Steel Targets. I Need Suggestions?

adn258

So firstly, I'm going to try and build an outdoor range with targets at 50, 100, 200, and perhaps 300 yards out on property with a backstop etc.

I want to use a variety of steel targets. My first obvious question is what brand do you guys recommend?

I've already read about the need for AR500 steel etc.

Lastly, I'm worried about rust, and how well the targets will hold up to inclement weather out in the middle of nowhere. This range will sit dormant in the winter for long period of time getting wet with snow and rain (and little to no use especially in the winter).

If I use Rustoleum or a different/similar product, will steel shooting targets hold up to the outdoor weather or rust badly if painted over? What are the experiences and advice you guys have on this topic?

As always, you guys are the best!

I have a few AR500 3/8" steel plates purchased from arntzentargets.com.

They hang on shepherd hooks in a damp woods area for about 8 years.

Most of them get repainted with cheap paint a few times a year & some only painted 2 or 3 times in 8 years. I get some light surface rust that does not seem to be a problem, I estimate they will easily out live me (& my grand kids too) if not abused.

Note, I only shoot target loads in .22, 380, 9mm, 38, 44 mag, 45. and I reverse them occasionally to avoid concaving effect over time. Seem to be good quality steel.

I shot a few 460 s&w at them 30 + yards) & noticed a very slight bullet impression with full house loads.

Very happy with targets but thicker steel would probably be better for heavy loads & center fire rifle.

I recently bought some from Brownells for our club, shooting .22, 9mm and .45 ACP. Seems to be of good quality so far but we do not leave them outside.

Brand is Champion Targets and CTS, AR 500 3/8”

6a759ad3e63542b1cba776a78091bcf2.jpg

21890f525c35af25ef523ff1ec5d6f44.jpg

bbf363a669e145494e9f43f2544b7fad.jpg

041124d9a154e10d0cf6e541455bceee.jpg

I think most of mine are Highwild or Rangetime AR 500s. They live outdoors year round. I repaint with cheap spray after use and have had no problems so far. Use as directed, and paint after use and you shouldn’t have any problems.

A few years ago, working on a project, I ended up with a .25 cal load that was running a 75 gr. Hornady hp at 4100 fps, so I tried it on an AR500 steel target, at 100 yds. It made a dimple into that steel, probably about 1/8" deep, but nothing else I'd fired at it even made much of a dent.

Rifle calibers...if you want the targets to last, 100 yards and further.

Rust is not a problem at all with bare steel AR500 or AR550. If they are rusting significantly, you got ripped off. There are a lot of target companies out there and some are not selling what they say they are. Inconsistent supply, improper fabrication can both result in weak plate that will fracture, core or dimple.

MGM Targets, Rocky Mountain Targets, AA Targets are the only three I have used for personal and club use. Over $80K of steel at one of my clubs, all from those three companies. I did a test of those three companies, plus 6 others, with a single plate at 100 yards and the differences were pretty obvious as the round counts went up. Steel targets is one place where it really is cheaper to buy the best since they last so much longer.

Back