Building a shooting bench

Runs With Fire

I am going to build a shooting bench. I have an assortment of timbers, plywood, and OSB lying around. It must be able to be taken down enough to fit in my car, or at least the minivan. I'm thinking a one piece plywood or OSB bench top that bolts through a 2x4 frame and into the 4x4 legs. Add cross pieces. Perhaps build a chair, or take the one out of my workshop and drill it so it bolts to the bench in some fashion. I think it would need to be as rigid as posible (while remainig a takedown model).

Things to consider?
Mabye height adjustment feet at the bottom of the legs so I can level it to keep it from rocking ( like the adjustment under a stove or dishwasher).
Sand bags over the cross braces to weigh it down, eliminate movement, and add rigidity
I'm really not sure. Any tips?

It'll be too heavy if you're using 4X4 lumber, not to mention something you will not want to break down, set up, or haul in a car. Build your top out of 3/4" plywood, then use pipe caps and threaded pipe cut to desired length for legs. You'll only need three pipes for legs, since they're threaded that'll give you some adjustment for leveling. You can attach some straps to the bottom of the bench to hold your legs for transport.

Something like this one!

Last edited:
A 3 legged anything (chair, stool, table, shooting bench) will sit stable on an uneven surface, without adjusting or propping legs. Just food for thought in your design.

I built a nice portable bench years ago using an old timey $2 wood ironing board from a yard sale . Put a cut out plywood top on it. Light, sturdy, very portable. Old wooden folding chair to sit on...good to go.

It'll be too heavy if you're using 4X4 lumber, not to mention something you will not want to break down, set up, or haul in a car. Build your top out of 3/4" plywood, then use pipe caps and threaded pipe cut to desired length for legs. You'll only need three pipes for legs, since they're threaded that'll give you some adjustment for leveling. You can attach some straps to the bottom of the bench to hold your legs for transport.

Something like this one!
Threaded pipe you say? I'm sure I have a few pieces of 1 1/4 inch black pipe laying somewhere. I am not too concerned about 4x4 weight. I thought a heavier bench would set more solid. Then again, what do I know. FWIW, I never shot off a bench before.

. I thought a heavier bench would set more solid. Then again, what do I know. FWIW, I never shot off a bench before.

You know a lot.
But, toting and setting up a concrete bench isn't going to happen- so get stability the best way you can, still better than shooting off sticks...

The range where we shoot has all concrete masonry bases, with 3" poured concrete tops.

I think I have just what you want. The top is cut from 1 1/8th" car decking. Leg's are 1 1/4" black pipe. Ont the bottom of the legs is a cap made for it. The top is screwed into a pipe flange. Under the table are three hardwood block's than the pipe flanges screw into. They are set so the center of each block points to the center of the table. The bolcks are 4"x4" and cut from right to left to give some slant and that keep's anu movement at all from the legs. Those blocks are not only glued down but they are screwed on each corner also. I had tried A 3/4" plywood top and it works if two pieces are glued and screwed together. On that firs one I used 3/4" legs and flanges, they came straight down. It was alright t shoot from but a lot of wiggle in it. The new one breaks down really well. Legs unscrew and go in a pouch I made for them from the leg of an old pair of jeans. Table top lays flat in the back of my Bronco and I have a 5 gal bucket I use for a seat. The bucket hold a 6x6 I use for a rest and a couple homemade sand bags, old jeans again! Have a photo of it broke down and set up in another hard drive somewhere. But this is pretty much it. Still have that tripod but seldom use it preferring the wood 6x6.

JEfgdVGl.jpg

I needed 2 benches, one for me and one for my son, that I could fold to take in the truck so I made these. I started with a set of 28" Rugged Buddy legs and used their shooting bench idea with a bit of tweaking.

hjjKftg.jpg

They fold up really well and with the shorter 28" versions they take up a lot less room in the truck. I just use a stool rather than a chair to sit on (again, it's smaller and takes up less room). Each one cost me under $75 and they are first class.

oDgeuc3.jpg

I also made a set of adjustable front rests too. I just slip on as many spacers as I want and am good to go. I had everything but the leather rest so I've got about $9 in each of them.

9md4fnj.jpg

They work well when we go out in the plains for some longer range shooting.

tQKBYHx.jpg

I've had them for years and they are solid and work great.

BTW: I also made the gun rack. It also folds flat to everything fits in the truck. I had the scrap wood, hardware, stain, and even the felt and glue. The only thing I bought was the brass chain so I've got like $2.80 in it.

WSOkyiq.jpg

Last edited:
I think I have just what you want. The top is cut from 1 1/8th" car decking. Leg's are 1 1/4" black pipe. Ont the bottom of the legs is a cap made for it. The top is screwed into a pipe flange. Under the table are three hardwood block's than the pipe flanges screw into. They are set so the center of each block points to the center of the table. The bolcks are 4"x4" and cut from right to left to give some slant and that keep's anu movement at all from the legs. Those blocks are not only glued down but they are screwed on each corner also. I had tried A 3/4" plywood top and it works if two pieces are glued and screwed together. On that firs one I used 3/4" legs and flanges, they came straight down. It was alright t shoot from but a lot of wiggle in it. The new one breaks down really well. Legs unscrew and go in a pouch I made for them from the leg of an old pair of jeans. Table top lays flat in the back of my Bronco and I have a 5 gal bucket I use for a seat. The bucket hold a 6x6 I use for a rest and a couple homemade sand bags, old jeans again! Have a photo of it broke down and set up in another hard drive somewhere. But this is pretty much it. Still have that tripod but seldom use it preferring the wood 6x6.

JEfgdVGl.jpg
What are the dimensions of the two sections of your bench top, the wide section and the smaller section?

Ah, but then what goes here...Gear and Accessories (13 Viewing)
Open discussions of firearm accessories and shooting related gear. Reviews and more. :confused:

Back