Building a rifle

Little-e

Guys,

I am considering having a rifle built for me and I'm looking for advice on the best way to go about it. I want to end up with a gun that I personaly will never be able to out shoot, (I'm not a bad shot) but at the same time, want a caliber that will have at least some application in the field. I'd also like to go at least 500 yards.

Most of my experience is with the Rem. 700 action so I will probably base it on that. Caliber will probably be small, .223 or 22-250. Other suggestions will be considered.

As far as the gun, should I get the least expensive model I can find since the action is about the only part I will use?

What is the first step (after buying the gun) to get the ball rolling? Barrel? Stock? Any smiths you recommend?

Price is somewhat of a factor but this doesn't need to be done overnight and I can do it one part at a time so I can save some $ up.

Little-e, I wouldn't build on the 700. It's a great action but unless you want to start your project by spending enough to buy a new rifle I'd go with a Mauser action. You can buy a CZ-24 for under $100 and make a great rifle on it and for about 1/2 the price of the same gun built on a 700 action. The caliber depends on the rifle's intended purpose. The 2 you mentioned are great varmint rounds but I wouldn't choose them for much else. The .308 Win is a pretty good choice for a all-around rifle but again it depends on what you want to use it for. The choice of stock is based on intended use also. The barrel choice depends of course on intended use as well as the bullet you intend to use. This will dictate twist. If you'd like, e-mail me and I'll give you a quote on building a rifle that will reach out and touch something for you. George

When you say "field", does that include deer-sized or elk-sized critters? Or mostly varmint or prairie-dog type hunting?

It seems to me there is sort of a break point around 7mm. That is, smaller calibers don't allow enough bullet weight for the larger animals such as big mulies and elk; and 7mm and over is sorta overkill for varmints.

(Just generalizin', folks. I won't go for a deer at 400-500 yards with my .243, for instance, but I'll happily use it at, say, 200. And I've shot many a jackrabbit with my '06 and 110-gr.)

Then, after you and George get all that doped out, you can start worryin' about cryogenic treatment, and moly-coated bullets and all that fun.

Go for it!

I have a couple of rifles that will handle elk sized game so that is not a necessity. The accuracy of this project is more important than hunting applications. I just don't want a rifle that shouldn't be used for hunting.

George- I've e-mailed you with some particulars.

Thanks guys.

Little-e, I think that the caliber of this project is your first priority. After reading the above post 280 Remington comes to mind.
The round has very good accuracy and is versatile as well. You can start with a military Mauser action but be aware that by the time a new bolt handle, saftey, trigger and floorplate release have been done along with the other associated metal working you will have a fairly sizeable investment made.
I have gone both ways with the action decision, military Mausers and Springfields vs new in the white Sakos. There is not a huge difference in the cost.
Let us know how your project turns out.
Good luck and good shooting, Hank

I am no bolt action expert -
But if I may...

Hunt around your local pawn shops. Look for some of those rifles on a rack.
I once bought a .30-06 with a mauser action that had German WW2 proof marks on it. Price? $60.00 It was a good rifle. Wish I still had it!

You could take a used rifle, dismantle it. And polish up all the parts - refinsh them - do all that, and restock it with a new stock of your choice. End result - you got a new rifle and you did not pay that much for it.

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Kodiac speaks the truth! If you can find one of the actions that are suitable for your project, by all means go ahead.

Just in my area, most of the pawn brokers are pretty overeducated on gun values!
Good Luck, Hank

Back