Building a remington 700

bjones870

Ok, this is an idea (a dream really) that I came up with a few years ago. I was sitting at breakfast with some of my shooting friends, and they were talking about building their AR-15's, and how fun it was. I began thinking, what if I built a Remington 700? So here are my questions to you, can it be done? Is it a realistic goal, or will I end up spending thousands upon thousands and have a rifle that's only as good as one I could've bought for a fifth of the price? Input? How hard would this be, assuming it's possible? Thanks!

any competent gunsmith can true the action, polish it all up and make it more accurate. As far as building one though, its really practical.

"Parts is parts" does not apply to Remington 700s, like it does to ARs.

Its not only doable, its practical.

Hang around gun shops, pawn shops, and find a beat up Remington 700. The more beat up the better (because it cheaper and actions are hard to scew up).

I had an old Rem 700 action that's been kicking around for a while. Don't know where I got it, some sort of trade or did some work for some one.

I desided to make an Across the Course Rifle for high power. So I built a 26 in 308, good target stock. Iron sights, the works, only it wouldnt shoot for crap.

Fast forward 20 years or so. Granddaughter needed a science project which consisted of cutting the barrel from 26 to 16 inches two inches at a time. (I've wrote about this project before).

So I'm left with a Remington action, and a grandson who was turning 12, old enough to hunt in Wyoming.

So I get a stainless barrel. about 100 bucks, I get a fiberglas stock for less then 100. and comence to building my grandson a Christmas present.

I had the reamer and headspace gages, (you can rent those). I bought a Weaver K-4 ($135), and start shooting.

It's an excellent shooter, under 2 MOA (its a hunting rifle) for a grand total of less then $335.

Smile on grandson's face come Christmas morning was worth that 100 fold.

NOTE: If you can't find a Remington action in your price range, think about a Mauser action. They can be had for less then $100 and make damn nice rifles.

Very doable,fun too. build it the way you want to shoot the 700 makes for a nice keeper gun lots of after market stuff,Stocks,barrels,triggers,rails You name it.Shop around & you can find very good prices on most of your needs.good luck.:D

Like said before dont limit yourself to just a Rem 700 action, as well as the Mauser have a look at a Howa or Weatherby Vanguard action (the Vanguard and Howa are the same out of the same factory) or the Winchester model 70. The 700 has a hell of alot of aftermarket stuff to customise it but if you look around the Howa/Vanguard and Mauser are not far behind it and the model 70 are not far behind them. I myself like the Howa/Vanguard action. Here is a few discussions on the Howa/Vanguard vs the Remington 700 action.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/factory-rifle-action-best-4060/
http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=752641
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/custom-build-howa-action-22904/

The Rem 700 is probably the #1 favorite for building rifles. Lots of parts available, and they are very easy to work with. Starting from a bare action, you can build a complete super-rifle for less than $1500 quite easily. Rough prices: $250 for a good barrel (McGowen, Douglas or Shilen), $200 for a good trigger (Timney or Rifle Basix), $300 for a good stock (MPI, H&S, Stocky's stocks, Bell & Carlson, etc), $100 for base and rings, and about $150 for labor to thread/chamber/crown/finish on the metal and about $250 to bed/recoil pad/sling studs/finish the stock/assemble. Or you can buy one of Remington'a factory-built super-rifles for about the same money. Your call.

Back