Building a Mosin from the ground up.

MaddHatterAZ

Inactive
I have a m44 and I love it! I now want an m38 but am having issues finding them for sale. I dont really want it counterbored this time. My m44 is counterbored and I am deadly accurate with just the iron sites at 100 yards.

I was thinking of just buying a barrel and all the parts, a new stock and assemble all of it. My current m44 is not matching, except the bolt is all matching so that made me think that I could just build one and it should be good.

So a few questions, is there anything I should worry about or be sure of? I am having issues locating a barrel with sights on it. Seems that they take all that off for some reason. Anyone know where I can get one with the sights on it still?

Any place you recommend to get the different parts from?

Or if someone knows where I can get a good deal on a complete m38 I would be interested, hell, i'd trade my all matching, great condition yugo 24/47 for an m38 that is not counterbored and has good metal.

I found a lot of useful pieces here already, but the barrels are all stripped. Is this the only way they really come? If so, that's fine, I can work with that if that is how it is, I just need to know.

Just keep looking on gunbroker...one will turn up. but I have had both types, and still have the M44 with East German property marks in my collection...the M38 after shooting them side by side ....went.
I found that extra weight(a little over a pound) that the M44 has, made it
more comfortable to shoot, expessially with "heavy ball"

If you shoot your 44 well, don't mess with it...it may not shoot as well with a different barrel on it(that Forrest Gump, life is like a Box of chocolates thing)

I would not change anything on my M44, Its so accurate that I can hit a ~4.5 inch target at 230-250 feet with my iron sights. Its like a freak gun, all diff numbers and it works so well. My friend has an immaculate matching 91/30 but its not anywhere as accurate. I got really lucky! That is for sure.

Back